Sydney New Years Eve - calculations

The_Ghan

Gross:

It is estimated that 1.5m people attended the New Years Eve Fireworks celebrations in and around the Sydney CBD.  Whilst I didn't attend this year, I have done so several times in the last decade.  Through my observations I would say that by midnight 1 in 3 people are drunk and that over the course of the evening, 10% of them will be so drunk that they vomit.  I know I can easily down a 500 ml bottle of Gatorade, possibly two.  So, I'll split the difference, roughly, and call it 0.8 litre stomach contents.  Doing the math:

1,500,000 / 3 / 10 x 0.8 = 40,000 litres of vomit.  The average in-ground, backyard swimming pool holds around 35,000 litres.

I don't know what the streets of Sydney were like on 1/1 but yesterday I had to brave the heat and walk across town to a computer shop and buy a new power supply.  Sydney was smelling decidedly "pukey".

Cheers

The_Ghan

Eeewwww! Perhaps they shoul get out the fire hoses. Or hope for a good rain.

I did the wash dc mall 4th of July fireworks at about that crowd. While not so many drunk, it was a bit post apocalyptic when everyone started home at the same time on foot bus, metro, and car. That ended attending that sort of affair for me, better ways to spend my life...

Jeff

Many years ago, I worked onboard the ferries crossing the English Channel. After some particularly bad crossings, the toilets were in such a state that is was known for the staff to don waterproofs, lift the drain covers and go in with the fire hoses.

This was often the only way to physically clean up with the time alotted for turnaround.

Martijn Meerts

The question is, what's the point of getting so drunk that you have to vomit all over, especially if you can't remember what the hell you did the next day ...

Over here it seems to be fun to drink yourself into a coma, I think the youngest known coma drinker was around 13... They keep going on about drugs, but alcohol is just as bad, if not worse in my opinion.

The question is, what's the point of getting so drunk that you have to vomit all over, especially if you can't remember what the hell you did the next day ...

Comments like that are just SO un-Australian, Martijn!  Sheesh!  :grin  :grin  :grin

Cheers

The_Ghan

Martijn Meerts

Ghan, that goes for many other countries.. I don't smoke weed even though I'm Dutch, that doesn't sit well with a lot of people either it seems =)

You need a few packets of QR issue vomit powder. :grin

If Sydney revellers are like those in Brisbane a good portion of that regurgitated alcohol will be left behind on the train home.

post-218-1356993003679_thumb.jpg