Digitrax DN163K1D

rpierce000

Is this truly a drop in decoder for some Kato Japan locos? If so, has anyone gone beyond the DD51 that is mentioned on the Digitrax site? I would think a lot units would be similar.

Bob

Reportedly, as you note, it's a drop-in for the DD51, but I don't have one of those to confirm it.  I dug though all the Kato and Digitrax documentation I could locate last year and didn't find mention of any others.  There's a list based on what I found at the end of my Kato decoders page.

It will fit a DE10, but not without grinding the weight and modifying the light-pipe at one end.  Been there, done that.  :laugh:

For several others they recommend the DN163K0A, usually with a bit of modification required (supposedly that one is a drop-in for the DF200, but I haven't tried that yet).

My brother and I have five DD51's between us with DN163K1D decoders so I can confirm they fit. For my DE10 I used an NGDCC (http://www.snjpn.com/ngdcc/indexj.htm) DE10K which doesn't need any frame modification, you do have to solder surface mount LEDs onto his decoders though. My next project will be a couple of DD54K's for my ED16's. You also need his EF65K for the newer mechanism EF65 as nothing Digitrax makes fits. A rule I follow these days is to wait until I get the loco and see if Kato have changed the mechanism after I got my EF65 and found the DN163K0a I ordered for it was not even the right style of board. Even though a lot of the drop in decoders made by American DCC manufacturers for Kato's U.S. locos are the same basic shape as the boards in Japanese locos they are often slightly too long or too short or have components in positions that stop them fitting.