Tomix 6421 DCC Conversion technique, have you used it?

rpierce000

I was led to this page here http://www.dapol.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=240&Itemid=32 and using the item sold here https://shop.strato.de/epages/62531443.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62531443/Products/530022 to convert a cleaning car to DCC.

Have any of you used this process? This board? I cannot find the part anywhere else. It is not, as far as I know, a Tomix part.

Anything you guys know would be of use,

Bob

Martijn Meerts

It's not a Tomix part no, Tomix still doesn't care enough about DCC ;)

It's a part made by someone in Germany I believe, and it works just fine. Basically replace the standard board in the cleaning car with this one and plug in the decoder. You need to carefully bend the pins of the decoder 90 degrees.

I've used 2 of those boards. In 1 case I removed the actual socket, and soldered in a decoder instead, but that's because I didn't have a decoder with a plug at the time.

The board isn't a decoder btw, so you'll need to buy a decoder as well. It definitely does make it easier to get a decoder installed, so it's worth the cost.

Martijn Meerts

The advantage of the NGDCC decoder is that it's all in 1 board, but that's also the disadvantage. Some people prefer to stick to 1 manufacturer for their decoders, or at least have the choice of manufacturer. In that case the board with the socket is the better option.

Of course, there's no reason not to offer both :)

Martijn,

Does the brand really matter with a function only decoder instlalled in a Tomix track cleaning car?  I'm considering the NG product for my track cleaning cars.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Martijn Meerts

You need a regular decoder, not a function only decoder, considering you need to drive a motor.

Still, it doesn't really matter much, considering you don't need more feature than motor speed, but there are quite a few people with brand loyalty.

One thing to keep in mind is that you should *NEVER* run a Tomix cleaning car on max speed on a DCC layout, the motor will overheat almost instantly.