2011 worst on record for passengers falling onto train tracks

I certainly don't mean to make light of these gruesome accidents, but Japanese has an interesting word: 轢断, rikidan--to be cut by train wheels.  Well, it has many interesting words, but this one is on-topic.:cool: I'm not optimistic that their efforts will reduce accidents, particularly with the year-end parties coming up.  Stay the hell away from the edge.

It's interesting about the alcohol figure, because young people nowadays drink much less than previous generations.  I think the other point about smart phone usage as well as headphone usage is a big factor.  Common sense prevents accidents.

I think the other point about smart phone usage as well as headphone usage is a big factor.

Yes, some people can be pretty oblivious to the external world when using such items. I remember once at a ATM, a couple was withdrawing cash, the girl left, the man stayed behind after 30 or more second the woman enters again grabs her man by the hand and drags him out of the cubicle without him ever looking away from his screen...

That said, there might be also some "cultural" traits. I have never been as much bumped into as in London. It's like nobody looks where they are going there. I can't recall such accidents in Japan and people use a lot more their phones that country.

Transport Ministry says 2011 worst on record for passengers falling onto train tracks. About 60% seem to be alcohol related.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/transport-ministry-says-2011-worst-on-record-for-passengers-falling-onto-train-tracks

Hope for a safe Bonenkai season.

Best wishes,

Grant

I find it interesting to note that they are specific to the cause of death as dismemberment by the train wheels as opposed to blunt force trauma by those who are killed as they jump in front of a fast moving train, or if they fail to clear the anti-climbers, pilot, or if mounted, a snow plow.

Over the years, I have given thought as to what my options were if I were to fall off a platform, or jump off in order to rescue a fallen person. Historically, my assumption would be to lay flat in hopes that the lowest point of the train to pass over me would not exceed the rail height with hopes that that it would be even better. Aside from the front of the train, I am unaware of undercharging equipment that would be lower than the axle of the bogie or trucks. At least with Japanese platforms, there are those pockets one can roll into between the rail and the platform. However I have yet to see any such emergency pockets in the U.S.