D51 Orient Express

Bernard

Martijn Meerts

If Kato went the same direction with this one as several of their other newer steamers, they'll have built the motor inside the boiler room. With the other steamers, people generally think the running characteristics have suffered because of that. Not sure about this one, I wasn't planning on ordering it, but seeing they have a special Orient Express locomotive as well, I may need to order the entire Orient Express =)

CaptOblivious

My guess is that since it is part of the same model series as one of Kato's older D51's (model 2006-1; the Orient Express is 2006-3) that it will not take a drop-in, and has the motor in the cab rather than the boiler.

More info:

http://www.katomodels.com/product/nmi/hc_d51498.shtml

(notice no mention of DCC; Kato almost always says on the product page if it will take one of their drop-ins)

http://www.katomodels.com/product/nmi/d51.shtml

(pictures of older model D51s; notice location of motor)

Martijn Meerts

It's actually a Kato Roundhouse model, which are usually even more limited and more difficult to get than other models. They're also usually not entirely new production runs.

to2leo - Are you on the Hobby Search emailing list? If not, I recommend you get on it because they send emails about new, reserve or re-stocked items. A while ago they sent out a reserve list on the Orient Express, both the engine and cars. I waited too long and the reserve list closed. Word of warning, the reserve lists fill up quickly.

Martijn Meerts

I have someone looking into the Orient Express to see if there's any stock left anywhere. It's very unlikely though.

That said, Kato might decide to run another production of the 2 car sets, but since the loco is a Kato Roundhouse one, I don't think that one will ever see more than 1 production run. However, the car sets could be run with many other (non-steam) locomotives.

Thanks everyone for the suggestion.

I went to a Taiwan forum and two of the members said that Kato will be releasing the remaining Orient Express on Jan 30.  Don't whether that rumor holds true but I hope it does!

As for engine, I am thing of using the Kato C62.

Martijn Meerts

Actually, the loco (D51) should be coming out in January, the cars were released last December already.

Martijn Meerts

Just ask Plaza Japan.  The set will be available on Jan 30th.  ;D

http://www.katomodels.com/start/guide/item/10/catid/4

That set has nothing to do with the Orient Express though ;)

Anyway, I heard back from the guy who was checking things out for me. The Orient Express car sets are sold out from the factory as well as all major retailers. Some smaller shops in Japan might still have them, but they won't be cheap, and you'll need to know someone in Japan to go and look for them.

As for the D51 mentioned in the original topic, this isn't just any D51, but the one that JR fully restored specifically for the Orient Express run. It has some unique markings and decorations (or, should have anyway ;))

Martijn Meerts

Hmm.. Picked up a package today which included a MicroAce D51-498 in the paint scheme AFTER it was used as the Orient Express. If I manage to get the Kato D51 as well, I'll have 2 loco's with the same running number, since the D51 used for the Orient Express is 498 as well ;)

I really need to keep better track of what I already have and what I've got on pre-order. Not a big fan of having 2 loco's with the same running number =)

I got the hobby search email this morning at 9 mountain time. It was in stock and available. I sat on the fence. By the time I got home, sold out!  :'( But Plazajapan has a set for a US $50 premium. Not bad for something so hard to find.

Hi clem24,

I am one of the few who bought from ebay with the $50 premium.  Plaza Japan, aka Jun, said the D51 loco will not be available until April, so we still have sometime to sit and wait.  ;D

I got to say, this got to be the most expensive set that I bought without a motor!  :'(