Rail safari plans

bikkuri bahn

The upcoming winter holidays will afford me almost a week to ride trains in Honshu, so I will embark on my usual "safari" to photograph and ride soon-to-be-extinct/endangered rolling stock as well as other oddities.  Starting from the Kanto area, I will take an evening Kodama service bound for Mishima, overnight at the Toyoko Inn there, and catch the early morning departure of Kodama #697, which rosters a to-be-retired-this-spring 300 series:

• Like 1

Will bikkuri Attenborough be posting regular reports?  This is, afterall, my favourite section of the forum!

Unfortunately, we have delayed our trip to Japan because of the earthquake/tsunami/nuclear incident.  We hope to be there next autumn but, alas, will miss a chance to ride the 300 series.  This puppy was released the last time I was in Japan and it would have been nice to be there for the other bookend in its life.  I still remember the first time I saw it.  I was in shock at the departure from the traditional airliner-styled nose.

bikkuri, I presume you will be embarking on a "tag-and-release" program.  I'd hate to see photos of, say, a 115 series Yokosuka colour lying dead on its side by the tracks because you made a "kill" ...  :grin

I've heard a rumour that the 115 Yokosuka is to be phased out on the Chuo line ... maybe someone will release a new model for the occasion ... and will be replaced by 211 series.  Apparently the 211 is being replaced by the E233-3000 on the Tokaido Line.  I'm sure you guys know more than me so it would be good for someone to clarify this point.

Looking forward to post of your safari.

Cheers

The_Ghan

I'll get off Kodama #697 at Nagoya, and then its off to the Nagoya Subway Tsurumai Line.  The 3000 series are due to be replaced by the N3000 type, as they have reached their 30 year replacement cycle. The 3000 series are noted for their semi-stainless steel construction.  Their side profiles remind me of the Toei 6000 series, also a semi-stainless design.

Coming off the layover tracks at Kami-Otai Station, a service for Akaike:

During the morning rush, some subway stock continue on the Inuyama Line, as through expresses.  After three 3050 series trains pass thru, a 3000 series tears through starting at 1:34:

At the other end, some subway trains continue on the Toyoda Line, terminating at Toyoda-Shi Station on the Mikawa Line.  Here you can see the sequence of trains, with short Mikawa Line trains interspersed with Meitetsu Toyoda Line and Nagoya Tsurumai Line trains:

I've heard a rumour that the 115 Yokosuka is to be phased out on the Chuo line

If so, very, very unfortunate indeed.  The 115's are the primary reason I take this line on my journeys.

Will bikkuri Attenborough be posting regular reports?

Haha.  No guarantee for that.  Unfortunately, I am a lazy s.o.b. when it comes to reporting and putting things together. I always wonder at westy's timeliness in churning out reports from his Toyoko Inn lodgings- I'm usually too busy minding my laundry to bother...Anyway, just throwing out these clips to organize my thoughts/plans and perhaps give others some idea of what's out there and some possibilities for exploration.

Will bikkuri Attenborough be posting regular reports?

Haha.  No guarantee for that.  Unfortunately, I am a lazy s.o.b. when it comes to reporting and putting things together. I always wonder at westy's timeliness in churning out reports from his Toyoko Inn lodgings- I'm usually too busy minding my laundry to bother...Anyway, just throwing out these clips to organize my thoughts/plans and perhaps give others some idea of what's out there and some possibilities for exploration.

Unless there's a sumo wrestler convention in the hotel no ones going to steal my laundry, besides it beats trying to figure out what I'm watching on TV. :grin

I've gleaned a few ideas for my last couple of trips from the forum.

Next, I want to visit Chiryu Station, located on the Meitetsu Main Line, and a junction with the Mikawa Line.  I first encountered this station a few years ago, and took note of the butterfly shed design used on the platforms, using thin rodding rather than girders or old rail.  This style of construction seems to be quite common in the Tokai region.  Anyway this station is due to be demolished and replaced by a multi-level "orgy of concrete" design, devoid of any character and railfan interest other than the trains running through it.  So I will visit to pay my respects.  This video holds primary interest for me in its second half, with the 6000 series in evidence:

model of the new station:

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/toudou-yuu/e/62df89f582878187dcb07dd3a5c7a8d3

Just one stop away from Chiryu Station is Mikawa Chiryu station, a very charming single island platform affair with a wooden platform roof.  There is also a disused side platform, at this moment I don't know what function it once served.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD-rwc3Bgmw

The Mikawa Line is single track, thus the wait at this station.  The 7700 series here that arrives a bit late has since been retired.  Now the services are in the hands of the 6000 series.

A 7700 arriving after having just left Chiryu.  The train can be seen passing under the Meitetsu Nagoya Main Line:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwOLc0H8cok