Extreme sportsfans, in Switzerland too...

Tecchan

It's a bit of an old story (may 2011) but I've never seen this video before.

The SBB (Swiss Federal Railways) used to organize special trains for football supporters on big games days.

The first idea was not to make them have a good experience, it was just to avoid having drunk supporters in the same cars that regular travelers. Seemed that a good idea...

The result: a train full of stupid drunk hooligans (I'm not gonna lie to you, I hate those kind of people) that literally destroyed everything.

When you see what they did on that video you can easily imagine how they destroyed the interiors.

bloody-hooligans.png

The video here: http://www.20min.ch/ro/videotv/?vid=205591&cid=121

(I hope it's not geo-locked and you will be able to see the video)

In Lausanne station, a woman was even hurt by one of the projectiles and the cost of the reparations was thousands of swiss francs (1 CHF = ~1US$).

I really don't get how you could become so stupid just because of a sports team...

The result: the SBB doesn't want to make this special trains and clubs will have to take care of transporting their hooligans, supporters themselves...

Good job, really...

That's some scary shit right there. Here in the Netherlands we now have Military Police Units (ME) on supporters' trains, since we have had quite similar experiences in the 80s and 90s.

Some of these trains are even have compulsory tickets for certain games. You can only enter the stadium through the gates at the platform for instance (Eindhoven, Rotterdam, Amsterdam, etc.). This keeps the crowd under control and doesn't let them get into contact with the opposing supporters. The police also keep a close eye on who is doing which means there is an easy way to deal with personalised fines, and they are quite severe. That however doesn't prevent trains from being vandalised and/or completely destroyed...

I really don't get how you could become so stupid just because of a sports team...

I don't get that either. Our town gets flooded by football fans several times a year, and while they don't riot, they do presume that they can take over our neighborhood, barbecue in the street, leave trash behind etc., and can't understand when we complain to them.

The result: the SBB doesn't want to make this special trains and clubs will have to take care of transporting their hooligans, supporters themselves...

But how do you keep the hooligans off the regular trains if they buy tickets?

This has to be a real shock on the spotless SBB.

But how do you keep the hooligans off the regular trains if they buy tickets?

I think they can forbid access to the trains game days. Most of the supporters come from the visiting team city, so it's easy to spot them.

Always sad to hear that trains were damaged/interiors destroyed.  As scott said, especially as it's SBB- I always have admired their cleanliness and spit-and-polish operations.  Fortunately it seems that platform at Neuchatel had no waiting passengers, at least visible.

*a lit flare on a Japanese train would likely have the train stopped, and the offender(s) taken off the train (flammable materials are banned on trains, buses, and streetcars)