Man hole covers

Japan has some spectacular man hole covers with both interesting casting and wonderful painting.

I have a great little book on them: Drainspotting: Japanese Manhole Covers

http://www.amazon.com/Drainspotting-Japanese-Manhole-Remo-Camerota/dp/0982075472/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322366230&sr=8-1

You can pick up a copy for less than $6 shipped

I just stumbled across a great PDF of them.

http://magazeta.com/downloads/Japanese-Manhole-Covers.pdf

Cheers

Jeff

Print some out at scale and sink them into your roads!

Jeff

• Like 3

I was googling around online and ran across this article, with a lot of covers identified as to locality and type:

http://www.japanvisitor.com/japanese-culture/manhole-covers

which is cool, as I was planning on using photos of some for street scenery, and knowing what they're for is useful.

You can also find a lot on Flickr searching for "manhole" and "Japan". The PDF Jeff linked above was apparently taken from there, but it doesn't always identify function the way the japanvisitor article does (that said, it has a lot of info, and I'd forgotten it was here; I'll need to re-read it).

• Like 1

Ken

Pick the book up, it's a great side table book to pickup now and then and flip thru, nicely done and very reasonable!

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 1

I need to do an Amazon order (I've got a gift card from work I need to use up and a few things on my "buy" list) and I've been thinking of getting that book since I dug up this thread a few days ago.

• Like 1

Jeff

Took your advice - ordered the book.  Always fascinated by the manhole cover art - didn't know this book exsited.  Thanks for the link - got a new unused copy for $5.19 from Amazon

POMU

(Richard)

Rich,

cool, i think you will like it very nice little book for $5. nicely done, good pictures and printing and nice story as to how these steel companies got into making custom manhole covers! interesting they carve the master from big wood blocks. also they use plant resins for the painted ones and folks have come to them to figure out how these plant resins hold up so well on metal with the wear they get on streets!

cheers

jeff

Jeff

I'm sure I'll like the book.  Interesting how the man hole covers are carved in wood then cast in steel.  Will enjoy reading about this and the plant resins

POMU

(Richard)

My copy of the book arrived yesterday.  It's apparently on clearance (Amazon and several others had it for just over US$5 new). Very interesting material, and a steal at that price even if a lot of the material is available online.