Tetsudo Magazine: Call for Submissions!

CaptOblivious

As a way of celebrating this forum's first anniversary, the admin team is proud to announce the formation of Tetsudo Magazine! Being the new publication of jnsforum.com, we're looking to you, the forum members, for material to print! We're looking for essays about Japanese railroading, both model and prototypical. Possible topics include:

• Model reviews
  • Modeling projects
  • Wiring and DCC (installs, etc.)
  • Prototype essays (the more specific the better)

Articles should be about 1500–4000 words long (depending on subject matter; reviews could be quite short, but prototype articles we expect would be fairly long). Submission is open to all forum members.

A great place to start thinking about an article is to go through your old posts; we'd especially enjoy including expanded versions of popular forum topics.

Articles must be your own original work, as must any photographs or illustrations you provide. We don't have the exact terms worked out, but our goal is to respect your copyright—we will only require a non-exclusive license to your work, so you maintain complete control over it.

Please submit your essay to submissions (a) tetsudomag , com and be sure to include your user name, so we can match email to, er, face, as it were.

Darren Jeffries

I think Bernard and I should write a little preface, just as the original founders of jns to express our experience of the last year and what has lead (ultimately) to the magazine.

no gushing stuff... i promise ;)

alpineaustralia

Oh.... go on...get in touch with your more femine side.

By the way, has only one (unsurprisingly) noticed the gender make up of this forum?

Are there infact any women that have an interest in model trains?

Alpine - I know in another RR forum I belong to there are very few women in it. My wife loves the fact that I do model RRing because it gives her time to do things that she wants to (like making stuffed animals, sewing, etc.) that she knows I have no interest in.

alpineaustralia

My wife thinks I am a sad and pathetic anorak (ie trainspotter) but supports it because it allows me to spend quality time with my 5 year old given my long hours in the office.  For example, she has just today booked tickets for all of us to catch a steam train from Sydnet to a place called Thirlmere (about 2 hours or so) to a train museum.

She will absolutely hate it but that is why I lover her for it.

Martijn Meerts

I've noticed that women in general don't mind model trains, quite a few even like them, but they don't often own any themselves.

What's also nice is that all generations seem to like it. For example, when I was at miniatur wunderland in Hamburg (the world's largest model railroad), there were girls / women there ranging from about 8 to 80. What surprised me the most was a couple of 16 year old (approximately) girls, dressed in all the latest clothes and hypes, you know the kind, the 2 most popular girls in the class. They were there by themselves, taking pictures everywhere, pointing out the details, and being genuinely impressed and having a good time =)

Alpine - Take me, take me! That sounds like a fun and memorable trip!

I think it's great that you and your "little engineer" get to spend quality time together like this, and what a wife to be so supportive!

I've noticed that women in general don't mind model trains, quite a few even like them, but they don't often own any themselves.

What's also nice is that all generations seem to like it. For example, when I was at miniatur wunderland in Hamburg (the world's largest model railroad), there were girls / women there ranging from about 8 to 80. What surprised me the most was a couple of 16 year old (approximately) girls, dressed in all the latest clothes and hypes, you know the kind, the 2 most popular girls in the class. They were there by themselves, taking pictures everywhere, pointing out the details, and being genuinely impressed and having a good time =)

Hmm, that's what I want. I want a hot Japanese girlfriend who is totally in to trains, and can speak English. 

For example, she has just today booked tickets for all of us to catch a steam train from Sydnet to a place called Thirlmere (about 2 hours or so) to a train museum.

When are you going to the RTM? I ask because I intend to spend a bit of time there while I'm on holidays, we might get a chance to meet up if you can't make it to Loftus.

Cheers,

Mark.

Are there infact any women that have an interest in model trains?

I know a couple. My wife is a gunzel  - railfan  for our non-Aussie members - who works for CountryLink, she helps me with some modelling projects. But Paula's also into the big stuff, she's steam-qualified!   ;D

Two of the ladies I work with are also gunzels/modellers, one is an interurban guard at Central, the other works with me at Waterfall. There's also a young lady I know that works for the Powerhouse Museum, she's involved in 5' gauge live steam modelling.

But it's probably safe to say that women who are really interested in railways are still in the minority.

Cheers,

Mark.

Hmm, that's what I want. I want a hot Japanese girlfriend who is totally in to trains, and can speak English. 

Mate, I think you may be in for a disappointment! :D

All the best,

Mark.

alpineaustralia

She certainly is a rare find Bernard.

The details are on the attached hyperlink. Worth looking at even if you are not from Australia.

Rail museum: http://www.nswrtm.org/

Trip to the museum:  http://www.heritageexpress.com.au/2009-03-003-STDO.htm

Mark - we are going down on Sunday 1 March 2009.

Will you be at Thirlmere that day?

If so, lets exchange mobile numbers and arrange to meet up there.

CaptOblivious

Bump!

Just a reminder that we are also seeking photos of your models and layouts, including submissions for the cover photo!

Thats great.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but this magazine , is this a all online magazine or a print version that will be shipped out to all members ??

Brian

Domino

PS: You are more than welcome to use photo off my layout if you think the are qualified??

As a way of celebrating this forum's first anniversary, the admin team is proud to announce the formation of Tetsudo Magazine! Being the new publication of jnsforum.com, we're looking to you, the forum members, for material to print! We're looking for essays about Japanese railroading, both model and prototypical. Possible topics include:

• Model reviews
  • Modeling projects
  • Wiring and DCC (installs, etc.)
  • Prototype essays (the more specific the better)

Articles should be about 1500–4000 words long (depending on subject matter; reviews could be quite short, but prototype articles we expect would be fairly long). Submission is open to all forum members.

A great place to start thinking about an article is to go through your old posts; we'd especially enjoy including expanded versions of popular forum topics.

Articles must be your own original work, as must any photographs or illustrations you provide. We don't have the exact terms worked out, but our goal is to respect your copyright—we will only require a non-exclusive license to your work, so you maintain complete control over it.

Please submit your essay to submissions (a) tetsudomag , com and be sure to include your user name, so we can match email to, er, face, as it were.

Martijn Meerts

It'll be downloadable as a PDF. There'll be 2 versions:

- optimized for viewing on a screen, meaning lower resolution images, and thus smaller filesize, which means it's faster to download

- optimized for printing, meaning the images are of high enough resolution so that when printed on US Letter size paper, it'll look good.

So any new about the first issue ?

As i said earlyer , you are more than welcome to use the story from my first exhibition here in Denmark , if you think its worth writing about ??

Regards

Brian

domino

We've sorta fizzled a bit on this project. I suppose it's time the leadership team get together and discuss things again. As expected things slow down on here during the summer as people have family/vacation/holiday obligations so things get pushed back or deferred.

I'm thinking of writing an article comparing the differences in long-distance passenger services in Hokkaido between 1972 and the present.  However, it will require the inclusion of train consist diagrams (and possibly a train timetable or two), which are taken from old timetables (i.e. not original work).  I don't have the time (or skill) to redraw such items myself.  Would giving source information/credit be enough?

Martijn Meerts

I guess it depends on the age of the original material whether or not the copyright is still valid. However, crediting the source is always a good idea, copyrighted material or not.

CaptOblivious

How complex are the diagrams? Could we reuse the components for other articles? Might be useful for us to redo them ourselves (it need not be you who does it! I might be interested in taking that on.)