Gigantor

The_Ghan

For some reason this just popped into my head.  I have a vague memory of a black and white movie or TV series c.1970.  I was pretty sure it wasn't an anime, and I thought it was called Gigantor.  However, Google has failed to shed any light on the fleeting memory I have with my younger brother watching this on TV one rainy day in Sydney.  Google points me to the anime only. 

I do remember there was a boy and a giant robot.  The boy seemed to have a device the side of a small tub of margarine, with several dials and flashing lights that was some kind of communicator.  The giant robot could shoot things out from its finger tips.

Can anyone help me with this?

Cheers

The_Ghan

oh man that dusted off some neurons that i dont think have fired in 40 years! those were the days coming home from school to all sorts of japanese cartoons and programs like these! we had a large number subtitled or dubbed in the bay area in the 60s and early 70s for some reason. i definitely remember the cartoon version below. i think some rust dust is dribbling out my ears right now...

jeff

Wasn't there a theme song for the animation when it came to the USA?

I like the last video....I wonder who the director of the film was....Ed Burns?!  :grin

I couldn't sleep last night.  The damn thing was buried right down in the deep, dark recesses of my mind.  I'm sure it was stored in a single neuron, which, once the connection was made, yielded a single name "Johnny Sokko"!

Now you all remember .... right?

You can read about it here and here.

YouTube

Feeling much better now.

Cheers

The_Ghan

ahh yes remember this one as well! sort of a cross between a golem and ultraman! has a strange look of a jewish golem creature... odd for a japanese show.

thanks its fun to watch some of these again! fangar must have been based on clint howard!

its about time to play the the ultraman dvds again, been a while!

jeff