Large scale steam engines stolen in Switzerland

rpierce000

http://news.yahoo.com/thieves-off-two-trains-switzerland-200744316.html

This is a very evil crime. The people who built these did it as volunteers, putting 1000s of hours of time into their construction  and care. Whoever ends up with them should be ashamed that they have them. DEEPLY, DEEPLY ashamed.

The members of this board see the auction systems all over the world. If you see these come up, notify your police to tell Interpol. They can take it from there.

Only model railroaders banding together will catch these guys!

How do you steal not one but two trains that size.....then how do you hide them?

You wear a very big overcoat !!!  :grin

Cheers

The_Ghan

Very esoteric items, if put on the market (illicit or otherwise), an easy flag.  Perhaps a very wealthy collector (Russian oil baron?) wanted it for his private collection.

How do you steal not one but two trains that size.....then how do you hide them?

You wear a very big overcoat !!!  :grin

Cheers

The_Ghan

And being a "professional body builder" wouldn't hurt either!  :grin

Sad... :-(

This place (Swiss Vapeur Parc) is about one hour drive from where I live and I used to go there when I was a kid (now I would feel silly going there on my own, I should borrow some kids  :grin).

They have a really nice scenery and "layout". It's really sad that people steal that kind of things knowing that they can't do anything with it...

From memory this railway is dual gauge, 5" and 7 1/4". So the locos could easily fit in the back of a van or ute. Unfortunately this is not the only instance I know of where live-steam locos or stock have been stolen. There have been a few thefts here in Australia over the years... :sad:

Cheers,

Mark.

Perhaps owners of these one-of-a-kind items should install a lo-jack device.  They certainly are more valuable (in terms of individual craftmanship and rarity) than a mass-produced Porsche.

Perhaps owners of these one-of-a-kind items should install a lo-jack device.  They certainly are more valuable (in terms of individual craftmanship and rarity) than a mass-produced Porsche.

Couldn't agree more, BB. And they're heaps more fun, too. But what's a "lo-jack device"? You've got me intrigued.  :cheesy

Cheers,

Mark.