Emigrating to Australia

Mudkip Orange

Mudkip Orange

How easy is it for your basic middle class American guy with a couple degrees?

What does one need to know?

What kind of Aussie companies hire foreigners?

i don't think you will have a hard time if you're well educated.

Will cost you a bit usually though. The usual police checks etc.

If you have a criminal history in last 10 years you may have issues though no matter how small they will make you tell all details.

Any lie on time spent in jail or crime etc could cost you the acceptance.

http://www.immi.gov.au/immigration/ you will probably go under workers category.

as long as you're not south of the border  :laugh:

Is that the Queensland border? :grin

Listen West !!!!

It's nearly midnight here in Sydney and I'm sitting up waiting for your next holiday post ... so I'd appreciate it if you didn't get distracted with these other topics ...  :grin  :grin  :grin

Cheers

The_Ghan

• Like 2
Mudkip Orange

Will cost you a bit usually though. The usual police checks etc.

http://www.immi.gov.au/immigration/ you will probably go under workers category.

Interesting, apparently there's an accord whereby my US Civil Engineering degree is considered equivalent to an Aussie degree.

But the fees for the skills assessment is like $500, egads.

How much bias is there? E.g. "yeah he's qualified but I don't wanna hire a fooking American," that kinda thang.

hmm not sure about stupid yank don't hire im but u always have the usual like all countries where chinese generaly hire chinese and indians hire other indians in small businesses etc

i wouldn't say it's a big problem but theres alway going to be cases of this.

but larger businesses is really all dependant on the person interviewing.

theres always minig jobs if you're up for that stuff there always short staffed !!

Gawd, look at that!!! He's looking for a job and keitaro and I haven't even decided if we'll let him in yet.  Actually we can't ... decide, that is ... until westfalen returns from Japan ... er ... that's how immigration works here, isn't it keitaro?  A few of us sit around with a beer and if someone says, "aw shit! he's orright!" then we let him in, don't we?  But it MUST be said spontaneously.  Afterall, we wouldn't want to make a travesty of Australian Immigration Law, would we?    :grin

Mudkip, don't worry.  There are so many different nationalities living here that I seriously doubt you'll experience much racism when trying to get a job.  But you DO have to understand the unwritten rule that on Friday afternoon drinks Americans pick up the first round.  Texan's pay for the second round too ... or something like that!  :grin

Cheers

The_Ghan

Gawd, look at that!!! He's looking for a job and keitaro and I haven't even decided if we'll let him in yet.  Actually we can't ... decide, that is ... until westfalen returns from Japan ... er ... that's how immigration works here, isn't it keitaro?  A few of us sit around with a beer and if someone says, "aw shit! he's orright!" then we let him in, don't we?  But it MUST be said spontaneously.  Afterall, we wouldn't want to make a travesty of Australian Immigration Law, would we?    :grin

Mudkip, don't worry.  There are so many different nationalities living here that I seriously doubt you'll experience much racism when trying to get a job.  But you DO have to understand the unwritten rule that on Friday afternoon drinks Americans pick up the first round.  Texan's pay for the second round too ... or something like that!   :grin

Cheers

The_Ghan

yep at least come to sydney so we can make a group or sumthing like that  :grin

Actually we can't ... decide, that is ... until westfalen returns from Japan

If they'll let me back in he should be ok. We have a Canadian at work so immigration isn't that fussy anyway. :grin

• Like 2

like i said for most people from uk USA europe the main thing is not having a criminal record. people get rejected a fair bit for having criminal records.

Can't be all that difficult cos most of the convicted crims from NZ emigrate over the ditch anyway. Nothing seems to have changed in 300 years :grin

Angus (joking....really!)

get it right guys, first send over your trains then go through immigration and customs. Oh make no dog buscuits are in your bag the dogs will go after it. lol

From the guys from the AU here talk, I'm more afraid of crime there than I am here!   :grommit:

Well ... considering our history ...

Cheers

The_Ghan

Mudkip Orange

Well the lady has said no to this pursuit. And she did follow me out here from the city of screw, so that counts for something.

I'm not yet dissatisfied enough with the Northeast to break things off just to leave. Will see what happens. I could always get a job in a warmer US climate... or she could get more annoyed with living in this f'ing commonwealth, which is a fricking dead place of death...

So, we should turn off the BBQ and put the beer away then?

Cheers

The_Ghan

Or take the photos of the BBQ and send it off to Mrs. Mudkip and tell her what she is missing if she doesn't come over to Australia lol

but i thought australia was the land of never ending flowing beer and bbq shrimp, never ending like the old hobo milk and honey! dont ruin my mental picture, please!

cheers

jeff

but i thought australia was the land of never ending flowing beer and bbq shrimp, never ending like the old hobo milk and honey! dont ruin my mental picture, please!

cheers

jeff

Oh that was just the screen saver, we have upgraded it, lol

cheers

jeff

It was!  I had an aboriginal tracker ... to guide me from the front gate to the front door ... but the economy is so bad I had to lay him off.  Now I stumble around in the bush and it takes me twice as long to get home. 

His name was Wackup Jack.  I passed him up the road the other day.  He was only wearing one thong (flipflop to most of you).  I said to him, "Hey Wackup!  Did you lose a thong mate".  He replied, "Nah mate, just found one down the road!"

One thing I do miss is Wackup used to clear the letterbox each morning ... you know ... koalas, possums, goannas ... that kind of thing!

Cheers

The_Ghan

Actually Linkey,

I think Mudkip must have seen our Prime Minister on TV and heard Senator Conroy on the radio.

Cheers

The_Ghan