How did you group your DCC addresses?

The_Ghan

KenS,

From the Sumida Crossing page:

Addressing

I could just assign addresses sequentially. However, I’m going to divide my 9,856 addresses into subranges to organize things a bit.

- 1 - 99 Consists

- 100 - 127 unused

- 128 - 999 for non-prototype equipment (e.g., track cleaners, etc) and other mobile decoders not using a train address

- 1000 - 1999 Locomotives (both freight and passenger)

- 2000 - x Commuter and Suburban EMU/DMU Trains

- 6000 - y Limited Express & Joyful Trains

- 7000 - z Shinkansen

- 8000 - a Subway Trains & Trams

I'm curious to know, since I'm quickly approaching this part, what groups of addresses you've set aside for control devices, such as DS64 and BDL168 and the like?

Cheers

The_Ghan

I'll note that that's a planned address division.  I've changed it once already, and may well change it again before I actually start addressing things (right now most of my few DCC trains are still address 3).

Also noted on the page is that I plan to space assigned addresses out by tens (e.g. 1000, 1010, 1020, etc) to allow for future addition of decoders with other numbers on the same trainset. E.g., operable accessories like individually controlled couplers.  Not something you can do today in N-scale,  but maybe in 10 years...  If I weren't planning for that, I could use much smaller ranges.

Also, accessory decoders use a different address space (at least as I read the specs), so DS64 etc addressing is independent of loco addressing.  I've got a page about what I'm doing for that (which is a bit more advanced as I've already got two DS64s installed and I'm working on the PM42/BDL168s).  My approach to those is:

101 - 200 will be used for turnouts.

201 - 400 are available and may be used for the SE8C.

401 - 500 are reserved for occupancy detectors. (but I may need more than that, as each BDL168 uses a block of 16 addresses)

Martijn Meerts

I don't really divide the addresses considering I run using either the ECoS or a computer, both of which have the ability to add trains by their names or pictures.

One thing to keep in mind if you do decide to group addresses, is to not start at 0. In quite a few cases, turnout decoders, occupancy detectors, feedback modules etc. can only operate on addresses from 1 to 256 just about.

Address 0 is reserved for mobile decoders as the "all decoders" broadcast address.  I think it's used for things like an "emergency stop" function to stop all trains.

It would appear from RP 9.2.1 that 0 isn't reserved for stationary decoders (it uses an address with six 1's and 3 0's as broadcast), but I wouldn't recommend using it anyway.  For stationary decoders a number of the low addresses may be used by default (e.g. the BDL168 defaults to using 1-16) so I'd avoid those. There can be others, for example the SE8C defaults to 1-8, 257 - 320, with not all addresses in the higher range used.

There are a number of devices limited to 256 (e.g., for Digitrax the PM42 and older BDLs), and 512 is the limit for standard accessory addresses. Extended accessory addresses can go to 4095, but Digitrax, for example, imposes an artificial limit of 999 on even its newer accessory devices like the BDL168.

As in all things, reading the manual is a good idea: check the manuals of the devices you plan to use for defaults and limits before you start assigning addresses to avoid any rude surprises or odd behavior.

CaptOblivious

Accessories use a different address space than locks, so you can have a turnout and a loco with the same address: they are conceptually different, because accessory instructions are ignored by mobile decoders, and viceversa.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for clearing this up.

As usual, KenS, your explanation at the Sumida Crossing page is thorough.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Guest Closed Account 1

I program addresses using the road number, backwards.

That way someone else can run the same locomotive. Chances are that they programmed using the normal road numbers.

This also makes it easy for others in the club to figure out my addresses.

I started out using the catalog number and that changed the moment I forgot the number the first time.