model polishing blog

keitaro

Martijn Meerts

In the model kit world, they often use a product called Future Floor polish. It's so popular, there's a page that keeps track of what the stuff (or similar stuff) is called outside of the US.. http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

It's used as clear coat, but also to dip airplane canopies in. The canopies get this really shiny look from it. From what I understand, it's so thin, it can be airbrushed straight out of the bottle. It can also be mixed with paint to create colored glass, or mixed with dull coat to get various degrees of shiny-ness.

I've never tried the stuff myself (still haven't been able to find any, although I haven't looked very hard), but a lot of modelers use it extensively.

OMG !!!

I use Pledge on vinyl flooring.  I wouldn't DARE use it on a model.  It works by reacting with the surface of the plastic and removing a very fine layer. Architects specify this product for shining commercial grade vinyl flooring in hospitals, railway stations and the like (I'm an architect ... I specify this).

On a separate note, I'm interested in any coating (not a cleaner) that will provide a shiny coating with UV protection on my models.  UV protection is the key to preventing the yellowing of the cars.  This is not something I'm knowledgable in, but I would suggest that something like the following is warranted:

Top Secret Coatings or

Krylon

The latter is used to protect artwork, sketches, and architectural models.

I tried using Google Translate on that blog and it wasn't very helpful to me. (I'm still not sure how to "excercise the clean sphere" or the importance of a "cartoon relationship with a teacher"!)  Perhaps someone can explain the process in English.  In any event, a product that is applied and then washed off is not likely to provide the kind of UV protection required to prevent yellowing.

Cheers

The_Ghan

CaptOblivious

Future is basically just a thin, uncolored acrylic gloss base. Quite different from Pledge! You can get the same effect (for many more $$$) by buying, e.g., Vallejo gloss medium. What makes Future great is that it is cheap (and some varieties have a lemony fresh scent! Wait, maybe that's not so good...)

Martijn Meerts

Over here, Pledge is more like a brand name rather then 1 specific product.

But, like I said, I haven't used the stuff myself, just that a lot of modelers seem to use for for just about any clear coating they need to do. There's plenty discussion about the advantages and disadvantages, and whether or not colors fade or yellow etc, but all in all the general view is that the stuff just works.

I believe Gunze Sangyo has various paints that can be polished afterwards for a metal shine, they might have a clear version of that as well. However, doing a full shinkansen with Gunze Sangyo would be quite a bit more expensive than with something like Future =)

The Krylon stuff mentioned looks good, but I'm fairly certain it doesn't give the same shine as Future (or similar products) would.

They had a piece on making a shiny model in a past issue of RM. They totally shined up a Kato 500 series. Not sure if I like the look as no train is ever that shiny.

LOL not sure if putting that substance into an iced coffee bottle is the best idea  :cheesy

BTW I believe you only really need to protect non-painted surfaces - those are the ones that yellow (which is why usually the diaphragms on Tomix Shinkansen models usually yellow). Most trains (i.e. all) have painted bodies, so mainly a non-issue.

BTW I believe you only really need to protect non-painted surfaces - those are the ones that yellow (which is why usually the diaphragms on Tomix Shinkansen models usually yellow). Most trains (i.e. all) have painted bodies, so mainly a non-issue.

Correct Clem,

It is the unpainted stuff that will go yellow.

Cheers

The_Ghan

OMG !!!

I use Pledge on vinyl flooring.  I wouldn't DARE use it on a model.  It works by reacting with the surface of the plastic and removing a very fine layer. Architects specify this product for shining commercial grade vinyl flooring in hospitals, railway stations and the like (I'm an architect ... I specify this).

ghan,

future (the other name pledge acrylic floor wax) is an old and very tried and true gloss coat for models. used in all sorts of models like car, aircraft and yes even train models! its pretty straight forward water based acrylic gloss coat. it will react with the surface as it would need to to adhere to it, but i have never heard of it harming model parts. im guessing floor acrylic has some uv protection in it, they add it to many coatings like this (i even see them now in wood oil and dye finishers)

of course like any new thing you try, test it first on an old car to see if it does what you want. i have a box of cheap, used cars i pick up at the model train shows for ultra cheap to try out weathering and such ideas on (and even rip off some parts from when it'll work!)

some refs

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2005/09/stuff_eng_tech_canopies.htm

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

http://www.ndrr.com/rmr_faq/models/Future-Floor-Wax.htm

http://www.ehow.com/how_6795982_use-wax-coat-plastic-models.html

heres one i have not seen, mix it with talcum powder to make a filler putty! i have to try this one out, not happy with the plastic fillers i have and the vinyl spackles are not great on models with easy cracking.

http://www.escalemodels.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=185

cheers

jeff

Clem,

Thanks for the info.  This is Pledge in Australia: an S C Johnson product.  This is the product that I am referring to.  If anyone in Australia goes out and buys Pledge, this is what they are getting.  It stinks, it is solvent based, and it will eat the bottom out of a plastic bucket.  I don't think this product can be used on model trains.  For example, it melts Lego.

Your link to swannysmodels mentions an Australian guy who has tested the Aussie Pledge and claims it works.  Geez!  I seriously have my doubts on a painted train.  I have somewhere a few miscellaneous old OO guage Hornby cars.  I might give it a go on those but I'm pretty sure it will remove the paint of the car.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Ghan,

hmm the pledge/future acrylic floor was has been water based here in the us for a long time. im thinking the stuff you are referring to may be commercial grade stuff meant for pro floor refinishing/sealing if its solvent based. have you tried the stuff you can buy in the supermarket? im betting the consumer stuff will be water based.

as with any product like this always best to test things first!!!

one of the links mentioned that the pledge/future that folks in the us and uk were using was not available in lots of the rest of the world and one enterprising company was rebottling it in small bottles and selling it worldwide!

cheers

jeff

cteno,

Yeah, I saw that ... I think the Aussie product is different.  I'll try it out on an old OO scale car and report back.

Cheers

The_Ghan