Why are Kato crossing 20-650s so valuable?

rpierce000

Krackel Hopper

If I'm not mistaken, the MSRP on these is close to $250..

I think they're that much because they are some of the nicest automatic crossing gates on the market.  They have the sensor cables that allow the gates to drop well before the train gets there.  Then you can get an add-on to make a double track crossing (or multiple track crossings) and they look good.

I would like one, but the $250 price tag is way too much for me.

The only problem with them is that they're DC only. Perfect for the Japanese crowd, but otherwise..

They also have logic built into them (i.e. say your train clears the crossing - gate goes up, but if the train backs up before it clears the sensor further down, the gates goes back down). Also has provisions for expanding to double track so gates stay down when one train is cleared but another is approaching in the opposite direction (although IMHO the Tomix one is better as it can do quad track). Makes a chiming sound, and lights flash. Also, the gate action is "weighed" so when it's triggered, they fall down slowly.

It's a pretty cool little piece to add to your layout.

They're also incredibly rare.  I've never seen one in a retail store or online that was actually in-stock (aside ebay or other auction sites which have overpriced ones) and Kato USA hasn't listed them for a couple of years.  They were absent from the Kato 2010 catalog. Kato Japan has them on their Japanese "stock" list, but without the flag that says they have them in stock, and they're absent from Kato Japan's English-language list. I assume they're out of production and have been for some time, although apparently they reappeared in the 2011 Japanese catalog, suggesting a re-run is planned.

List is 20,790 yen (at current rates US$265).

Note also that there were two of them: 20-650 with Japanese (yellow/black) gates, while 20-650-1 had white/black (or white/red; it's been a while since I saw a photo, most online sites use the yellow/black photo) gates and is called the "North American version", although many other places, including Japan, use the same style.

I'd wanted to buy one of these a couple of years ago, but couldn't find one outside an auction.  If the yellow/black version is about to be re-issued, I'd be interested if you're thinking of ordering some. It would be interesting to know any details, as I haven't yet seen an English description of the "new" one.

Krackel Hopper

A hobby shop not too far from me has two of these guys in stock.  I think they're listed at $200 a piece.

Really not a bad deal in terms of MSRP, but $200 for a single track crossing gate is beyond my budget.

Mr. KATO hasn't placed the new crossing onto the website as yet, but they are planning to replace the 20-650 with the new unit. Not sure if it will be able to be connected to DCC but I assume (IMHO) that they should be able to connect wit DC and DCC as the new batch of trains are becoming more DCC acceptable so should the new crossings.

So it is a wait and see as they (the crossings) were planned to come out this year, but as we see that this year is not that far for ending and 2012 is close by so expect them out in 2012.

Yeah, give, what is your secret inside source?

Get out the rubber hoses guys.... Ve haf vays of getting ze information!

Bob

BTW, I have one of these coming to me, used. It is double tracked and has four sensors. From the box it looks like the original was single tracked and the double tracking and additional sensors we an add on?

I really do not have a good home for this unit, my Unitrack is used for setting up and tearing down layouts with my kids. I would not want something this valuable in the mix. I am getting it as part of a N scale collection we are buying up.

If you want it, PM me with a reasonable offer.

Bob

So it is a wait and see as they (the crossings) were planned to come out this year, but as we see that this year is not that far for ending and 2012 is close by so expect them out in 2012.

Actually fiscal 2011 doesn't end in Japan until March 31, 2012.

I sent an e-mail in regard to the N scale crossing that was in the 2011 catelogue as I was very interested in knowing when this item would be released as I will be getting one of these maybe three if I can. The response was that they were hoping to have it out before the end of the calendar year (2011) but with the backlog of trains and the selling out or recent train to make re-productions have pushed this back.

Plus it is amazing, the information you can pick up from at the major conventions eg. JAM from the companies. As I also got told from one of the people who I get to buy the trains for me while they are over at Japan. Not everything in the catelogue will be made in that year, as he has got prior exprience in this.

Bill, that could be the case. :)

BTW, I have one of these coming to me, used. It is double tracked and has four sensors. From the box it looks like the original was single tracked and the double tracking and additional sensors we an add on?

Yes, 20-651, the Double-track adapter.  It adds a second track and two sensors for it.  List 4725 yen on the current stock list (and this one, Kato shows as still in stock). HS still lists it as sold out at the old 4500 yen price.