Railway Journal Dec. 2011

bikkuri bahn

The latest issue of Railway Journal has a feature on rolling stock factories.  The three featured facilities are Kawasaki Heavy Industries Hyogo Plant, JR East's Niitsu Plant, and the Niigata Transys Plant in Niigata.  The railfan press typically has lots of coverage of rolling stock deliveries, but it's nice that the builders are spotlighted this time.

Cover:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/images/B005R3940C/ref=dp_image_z_0/377-2016400-6037151?ie=UTF8&n=465392&s=books

• Like 1

Yeah, I saw this on their website a few days ago.  Looks interesting.  I'll definitely be placing an order in the next several weeks, I haven't bought any since early this year, iirc.  Does RJ include any calendar or personal memo book in the Dec/Jan issues?

Does RJ include any calendar or personal memo book in the Dec/Jan issues?

Nope, gotta buy Tetsudo Fan or Rail magazine for those.

I would quite like to buy one of these magazines, according to Amazon though it could cost Y3700 (inc handling) to post it to the UK, not really worth it then  :sad:

I get mine through Hobby Search. I order three magazines each month to spread postage, Japan Railfan Magazine, Hobby of Model Railroading and RM Models cost around Y5400 inc SAL postage to Australia.

I get mine through Hobby Search. I order three magazines each month to spread postage, Japan Railfan Magazine, Hobby of Model Railroading and RM Models cost around Y5400 inc SAL postage to Australia.

That's quite reasonable, roughly 2000 yen for shipping, and as Japanese rail magazines are high quality, somewhere between a magazine and picture book in print quality and paper thickness/weight, etc.

That's quite reasonable, roughly 2000 yen for shipping, and as Japanese rail magazines are high quality, somewhere between a magazine and picture book in print quality and paper thickness/weight, etc.

Even though I can't read the text (the photos alone are worth the price) I think I get good value as US and British magazines cost an average of $15 here. I paid about $25 for two British model railway magazines yesterday.

Lawrence, try contacting a Japanese bookstore in the UK, 3700 yen or the equivalent in pounds sounds too high.  Railway Journal would be 980 in Japan, and if I buy it here in the US it'll be around $21.