LIVE Catenary?

rpierce000

Does anyone know of someone doing LIVE catenary in N scale? Trolley is preferable, but anything is of interest. I know that N Cat used to be around, but I cannot find anything about it anymore.

I have seen the East Penn stuff, that was a big help.

Thanks,

Bob

bob,

ncat is still sort of around. check out the nscaletraction list on yahoo and you will find some folks doing live n scale traction catenary on there and discussion on what folks are doing and there have been mentions of the ncat content here and there thats still around.

cheers

jeff

Martijn Meerts

I've done live catenary a while ago, built it myself. At the time I wasn't really good at soldering yet, so it ended up pretty crude, but it worked.

For trolleys, catenary is usually a lot simpler than for (European at least) trains. So scratch building trolley catenary would be very doable. Of course, this was with locomotives that were built for live catenary. Japanese electric loco's/EMU's etc. will need some heavy modification.

The main thing to keep in mind is that you need to stock up on pantographs, because they wear out pretty quick, and the live wire will need replacement quite often as well if you use copper for them. Most of the pre-built stuff wear out a lot slower since they use some sort of steel wire.

Sommerfeldt makes some amazing catenary, but mainly German prototype.

Thank you all, I have sent my customer to NCat. Apparently he did all his own conversions 30-40 years ago and now, having retired, is ready to get back into it.

Bob

BT Trains

the nscaletraction yahoo group is pretty active and a fair number still discuss live catenary so he should be able to find some folks to chat with!

jeff