Containers

John P Boogerd

John P Boogerd

Do any of the containers we see on American and European railways like Japan Line, NOL, Hyundai, Maersk and so on appear on Japanese railroads?  All I have seen in videos of Japanese railroads and model railroads are the JR blue and red containers.  If they do, which companies containers have you seen on Japanese trains?

Full size containers probably go by road in Japan. Even then dimensions would restrict where they could go. Train loads are restricted by 19th century civil engineering works like tunnels and bridges. Those ocean going container loads may have to be trans loaded to domestic containers if they move by rail.

But the largest  domestic mode of freight transport in Japan is not road nor rail, but ship at 58%.  Rail is only 3.1%.  In an island nation, most large industry is near ports.

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/facts/2006_fcvt_fotw412.html

• Like 1

Do any of the containers we see on American and European railways like Japan Line, NOL, Hyundai, Maersk and so on appear on Japanese railroads?  All I have seen in videos of Japanese railroads and model railroads are the JR blue and red containers.  If they do, which companies containers have you seen on Japanese trains?

John, they do, but not in great quantities. And also they tend to travel short distances.

Cheers NB

Further to my reply, here is a whole trainload of ISO containers.

However take into mind that moves like these are more the exception than the rule.

Cheers NB

• Like 1
CaptOblivious

Worth noting too that maritime containers are limited in which carriages can carry them, which as near as I can tell is limited to コキ104, 106 and 200 (what about 107s?).

• Like 1