Interesting article about Alabama and illegal immigrants

bikkuri bahn

Some people say "illegals take way jobs from deserving 'Mericans, or else they live on welfare".  Read this:

ONEONTA, Ala.—Potato farmer Keith Smith saw most of his Hispanic workers leave after Alabama's tough immigration law took effect, so he hired Americans. It hasn't worked out: They show up late, work slower than seasoned farm hands and are ready to call it a day after lunch or by midafternoon. Some quit after a single day.

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2011/10/20/few_americans_take_immigrants_jobs_in_alabama/?page=full

Some people say "illegals take way jobs from deserving 'Mericans, or else they live on welfare".  Read this:

ONEONTA, Ala.—Potato farmer Keith Smith saw most of his Hispanic workers leave after Alabama's tough immigration law took effect, so he hired Americans. It hasn't worked out: They show up late, work slower than seasoned farm hands and are ready to call it a day after lunch or by midafternoon. Some quit after a single day.

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2011/10/20/few_americans_take_immigrants_jobs_in_alabama/?page=full

well we all know that

I can imagine it being a hard job but seriously if you need a job you need a job. i don't understand how you could pick such a low amount of tomatos though between 25 workers......

they think thats tough try working a field of rice by hand i did in japan and it is damn tough work.

actually not a new story as the restrictions on seasonal migrant worker visas have gotten harder. farmer must show that local folks dont want the jobs. well it turns out most of the locals hire on and w/in a day or so are out.

most of the picking work is really nasty labor, right up with working rice fields. the article states good pickers pick 100-150 25lb boxes a day! thats one about every 5 minutes!

jeff

Guest cassymoss

Immigration law have been a hot-button issue.I believe,one reason the federal government should stop Alabama's enforcement of new law is that people will flee from Alabama to other states in order to avoid the law. The filing states that the law has already driven Hispanic students from public schools and migrant workers from towns.Sections of the law have already been stopped, however. There are numerous bigger constitutional problems at play in this controversy. The suits, however, could take several years to sort out. Article source: Portions of Alabama immigration law blocked by injunction