Poll: N guage Shinkansen 500, 700, or 800

HiSpdTrainFan

Which train is most popular to you, and why?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which train is most popular to you, and why?

• JR Nozomi 500
    • 700 "Rail Star"
    • 800 Kyushu "Tsubame"
    • Like all three trains

The reason for my vote is as follows:

500 shinkansen is the most stylish train that has run on the JR network, sadly it cost ¥9bil to make in real life but when it runs on the layout  it just looks beautiful and I have 2 of these already both KATO (1 8-car set, 1 16-car set) and have ordered the TOMIX 8-car set.

The 700 Hikari Rail Star is my newest addition to my shinkansen fleet (2nd hand from a member of AJMRG) due to the colour scheme is different from the other JR West/Central shinkansens it gives it a nice look and from seeing other member's 700 running around it would be good to have something different running to give a big japanese feeling of transportation.

and lastly the 800, I have got the latest version from KATO "Sakura" and with the dark red color roofline of the train, it makes it very attractive when it runs through the layout for those who wants to watch run by. Pretty much I like all of the shinkansens but I am now starting to work on smaller trains and get some more steamers to run.

My favorite is without question the 500 series, it's what got me interested in modeling Japanese trains.

Out of curiosity, why did you pick those 3 trains? Why not list all the different Shinkansen series and find out member's favorites.

HiSpdTrainFan

My favorite is without question the 500 series, it's what got me interested in modeling Japanese trains.

Out of curiosity, why did you pick those 3 trains? Why not list all the different Shinkansen series and find out member's favorites.

I got interested in Japanese model trains because of the JR 500 as well, and these trains are my favorites of all shinkansen series.

I'm a fan of bullets:

0 Series - the first shinkansen I went on,

100 Series

200 Series, but not the 200-200 with the pointy nose and the rectangular lights

and the 500 series

In terms of looks I think the duck-bills are a bit wayward.  But I like the E5.

Cheers

The_Ghan

I'm a fan of bullets:

0 Series - the first shinkansen I went on,

100 Series

200 Series, but not the 200-200 with the pointy nose and the rectangular lights

and the 500 series

In terms of looks I think the duck-bills are a bit wayward.  But I like the E5.

Cheers

The_Ghan

E6 too that red/marone is HAWT and make it faster

Neither of those...

While the 500系 has grown on me the last few years, I still think this has to be the most overrated train in all of Japan (no offence to those who love the 500系 :grin)

for me the Shinkansen build during the JNR era are still my favorite, you just can't beat the look (IMHO) of the 0系, 200系 and the 100系.

I can aprreciate some of the more modern ones, like the 400系, 300系, E2系 etc, but for me the JNR ones still reign supreme.

-Sander

The question is which is the most popular, not what's your favourite! ;-)

I think the 500 is the most popular but I prefer the 300.

• Like 1

Oddly, the shape of the N700 is really starting to grow on me. I don't necessarily like the location of the headlights... 700 is still definitely one of the uglier ones (ties the E4).

If it were my vote, I'd vote 100 or 300 series for Tokaido/Sanyo/Kyushu Shinkansen and maybe N700-7/8000 third hehehe...

The Tsubame's a nice looking train, but my favorite remains the 500 Series.  I don't really have a good reason, it just looks the way I think a really fast train "ought" to look, like a wingless airplane stuck on the tracks.

• Like 2
Martijn Meerts

I like them all :)

But, the 800 would be my favorite from those 3, because of the color scheme for the most part. I love the dark red lacquer color used on the 800's roof, it's a very traditional Japanese color, and my samurai armor has pretty much that color as well. The interior also uses a lot of the more traditional colors and materials.

Of course, I haven't seen any of them in real life, so my opinion is purely based on photo's and the models ;)

The 500 is an awesome train, but I voted for the 800, I just love the look of it. The N700 and its friends just need rhinoplasty.  I think calling them the "platypus" is very close to the mark (apologies to Perry fans). I know that they are great aerodynamically, but even with the E5/6 versions they still look, well, odd. I would think you could pull the looks off the front of an F1 car and use that.

Bob

Personally i really like the 700 and the E4, those noses have some really nicely done curves on them. the pointy trains are just that -- pointy -- and really little finesses in there IMHO. n700 messed the lines up some, but that was i think just due to computer and air tunnel simulations ruling on reducing shock wave effects in tunnel in/out and some air flow for efficiency and not as much done by hand. The E5 i think has taken this even further and its less about the curves than the optimal aerodynamics.

jeff

Personally i really like the 700 and the E4, those noses have some really nicely done curves on them.

LOL Funny how our tastes are the complete opposite...

Personally I think they got rid of the platypus look going from the 700 to the N700.

But yes Bob, you are so right!! The E5 and E6 have noses that resemble modern day F1 cars LOL. I like that. F1 inspired bullet train styling. Next thing we know they'll be putting a spoiler on the front to increase downforce or maybe even putting wings on to reduce the weight of a train while running full speed, thus saving energy and reducing wear and tear on wheels and track. Wouldn't that be an idea!

HiSpdTrainFan

So far 23 members voted as follow:

JR Nozomi 500

6 (26.1%)

700 "Rail Star"

5 (21.7%)

800 Kyushu "Tsubame"

4 (17.4%)

Like all three trains

8 (34.8%)

Total Voters: 23

HiSpdTrainFan

HiSpd - Which is your favorite?

All three are my favotite but in the following order.

(1) Kyushu 800    (2) Nozomi 500    (3) N 700