Signals

mmlo

I'm also setting up a DCC system and plan to run signals.  You can either run your signals as part of the DCC system or keep signalling separate altogether.  If you have a DCC layout it is logical to do a DCC compatible signaling system. To do this, you will need to be able to connect a PC or notebook to your layout and run software to control the signals.  Some NON-DCC systems don't require a PC.

I'm using Digitrax products.  I plan to use the SE8C - Plug n Pray Signal Decoder which is compatible with these software applications.  I'll probably go for TrainController but it IS expensive.  The free alternative is JMRI but you're expected to know more about computing and I think it will involve more time.

Other links I've collected in preparation that may be of interest.  Please note that I've not looked into any of these as yet ... I'm not up to signalling yet:

1. D.I.Y signals for USA and Japanese layouts. Very interesting but too technical for me.  This is something for an electrical engineer, in fact, a friend of mine who IS an electrical engineer found this one for me.

2. Converting Kato and Tomix signals for use with DCC from the same guy as above. 

3. KenS, Sumida Crossing page on signals KenS plans to go DCC with his signals too.  He also has a good description here.

4. Case Study using CTI Signal Control.  This is NOT a DCC system.  Here is the CTI-Electronics site .

5. Oak Tree Systems makes another NON-DCC Signal Control System.

That's all I can offer for now as I haven't actually started with signalling yet ... I expect KenS to chime in any minute with further info ...  :grin  :grin  :grin

Cheers

The_Ghan

I've briefly experimented with Atlas signals http://www.atlasrr.com/trackmisc/nsignals.htm The system works with DCC but the signals are not even typical U.S. types let alone something that could stand in for Japanese.

My hope was that when Kato started dabbling in DCC they would redesign their signals and level crossing to be DCC compatible but sadly it doesn't look like they are going to.

As I suggested, read KenS page that I provided the link to.  Then read the Digitrax stuff.  I believe this is the best way to proceed.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Thanks guy. This is way over my head. I am thinking to buy a optic sensor and hook it up with a signal.

That sounds rather complicated as well, although see the description of Circuitron's system below.

If you don't want to use a computer, there are some options.

You could do something basic that used block occupancy if all you want is a red/green "block occupied" signal.  The BLD168 has a LED output for each block, which alone could light a red LED.  If instead you use it to drive a relay, you could use that to control two LEDs (a green that's on when the block is empty and a red that's on when the block is occupied). But that assumes a minor level of electrical skill.

For a simple system like the Kato/Tomix ones (just a timer based on when a sensor is tripped), Circuitron makes the SA-1, which is claimed to be DCC compatible (and may work on an optical sensor; I haven't been able to find a good description online).  Walthers lists this at $23 (per signal!) and is out-of-stock at present.

You also need signals.  If you're doing Japanese-prototype, Kato and Tomix are the only option, and they only work with DC.  So you'll have to either scratchbuild, or use a U.S.-style two or three-light vertical signal (like Tomar's or NJ International's) and just ignore the other signal aspects (four, five, and six-light versions). There is a guy in Japan who has modifed the Kato and Unitrack signals to work with an external driver (e.g., something like the Digitrax DS64), but that doesn't provide the control logic and it seems very complicated to do as well.

Unfortunately, given how little DCC seems to be used in Japan, it's not likely we're going to see a DCC-compatible automatic signal system out of there any time soon.