Serious deviation from Japanese N -advise req'd

keiman

OK guys/girls,

I have managed to motorise my Hong Kong Tram but it means a change in track scale. Apart from the link I posted on my wish list what else is available in japanese Nm3,Have found a use for my Z gauge at last. Marklin Rail Bus chassis now the motive forcefor the tram.

Hopefully have some crap video/photos of the tram at the weekend -mobile phone based.

Seriously thinking about a USA narrow gauge mini layout as all I need to purchase is some rolling stock body kits.

why do you need z power unit ? is it the length or width in the tram the issue?

the TGW kiha4000 is very small so if it's length you may be able to use that?

edit i think i mis read your thread ignore me

I believe Hong Kong's trams are 3'6" gauge so Z gauge would be appropriate.

All the Japanese Z gauge stuff coming out lately has been tempting me to resurrect my Nn3 now I don't have to pay almost as much as my whole Japanese fleet cost just for a single overpriced Marklin Z gauge loco to cut up for the mechanism. Our local hobby shop here in Brisbane has the Tenshodo Z gauge in stock and the photos on the internet don't do them justice they leave Marklin behind in both appearance and price, I didn't get the chance to test run any but being Japanese I'm sure they run well too.

I'm even tempted to do a small Japanese Z gauge layout.

I believe Hong Kong's trams are 3'6" gauge so Z gauge would be appropriate.

All the Japanese Z gauge stuff coming out lately has been tempting me to resurrect my Nn3 now I don't have to pay almost as much as my whole Japanese fleet cost just for a single overpriced Marklin Z gauge loco to cut up for the mechanism. Our local hobby shop here in Brisbane has the Tenshodo Z gauge in stock and the photos on the internet don't do them justice they leave Marklin behind in both appearance and price, I didn't get the chance to test run any but being Japanese I'm sure they run well too.

I'm even tempted to do a small Japanese Z gauge layout.

The tenshodo are definately great i have seen some in action.

not as good a runners as say a toomix or kato but pretty good for the size

Martijn Meerts

Marklin Z seems more like a hobby to Marklin. There haven't been any real improvements at all since the stuff first came out. Loco's might look a bit better these days, but for the price, they're still nowhere near what they should be.

Another thing to consider, World Kougei has been releasing more and more N narrow gauge stuff (runs on standard Z-scale track). There are kits and finished models. The kits are very affordable, and even the finished/painted models are cheaper than marklin stuff ;)