Odakyu 3000SE Early High Speed Train Preserved

bill937ca

The body was built of steel, though of a type incorporating phosphorus and copper, a process developed by steelmaker Nippon Kokan.  The ribbing visible on the sides was to prevent buckling of the carbody shell.  There were of course other designs during this period using aluminum- the private railways were experimenting and developing many designs in the late fifties and into the sixties.

Ahh ...

MicroAce did this puppy years ago.  It is the revised version.  The consist in the video is A2155, the 5-Car Add-On set, which I don't have.  I don't even have the basic set,A2152.

I am lucky enough, however, to own the early set, A2151.

Cheers

The_Ghan

I just watched the video again ... it appears that the cab car at the beginning of the video is the Revised version and the cab car at the end is the Early version.  Can anyone confirm?

Cheers

The_Ghan

I just watched the video again ... it appears that the cab car at the beginning of the video is the Revised version and the cab car at the end is the Early version.  Can anyone confirm?

Cheers

The_Ghan

Yes, the early version is called the SE (super express), while the later version (at the beginning of the clip) is the SSE (short super express).  The SE car ends were converted in 1968 and the eight car trainsets split into 5 car trainsets in order to run on interline services on the JNR Gotemba Line, which was newly electrified at the time (just before electrification this line was the haunt of D52 heavy mikados, based out of the Kozu depot, with its distinctive roundhouse, as well as Odakyu's diesel railcars).  The car ends were converted because JNR regulations required couplings on the ends of trainsets.

Very nice panshot view of the SSE trainset (they remind me of the Milwaukee Road's rolling stock):

http://www.geocities.jp/iman13/siryou/script/mk-sse2ren3Dsuperpano-slide.htm

3000 SSE on the Gotemba Line, note the distinctive horn/chime:

The original 3000 SE even had its own theme song ("pi-po no densha"):

• Like 1

Oh, bikkuri,

Thanks so much for mentioning Gotemba.  The memories of my high school summer camp come flooding back.  I think we rode a 3000 series to Gotemba.  It was July 2004 1984.  We spent about 3-4 nights at some kind of budget hostel.  We did some sightseeing - I remember there was a small but impressive shrine set in a forest nearby somewhere (maybe someone can help me with that).  On one of the days we did volunteer maintenance work at a school for special needs or orphaned kids (I just can't remember which).

Cheers

The_Ghan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O1Vs2m-034

The 3000SE was of the early high speed trains setting a world narrow gauge record of 145 km/h in 1957 and is said to one of the inspirations for Shinkansen trains.

Another influence for the Shinkansen was (believe it or not) the North Shore's Electroliners. A JNR team visited the NS and rode the 'liners in 1962. They rode the cab of one of the trains and were absolutely enthralled as it navigated a pair of reverse curves without slackening. Sugeno akada tomati kudasai (will this train stop at the next station?) they asked the conductor. Reply, "no".

Cheers NB

Oh, bikkuri,

Thanks so much for mentioning Gotemba.  The memories of my high school summer camp come flooding back.  I think we rode a 3000 series to Gotemba.  It was July 2004.  We spent about 3-4 nights at some kind of budget hostel.  We did some sightseeing - I remember there was a small but impressive shrine set in a forest nearby somewhere (maybe someone can help me with that).  On one of the days we did volunteer maintenance work at a school for special needs or orphaned kids (I just can't remember which).

You may find your train here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romancecar

A JNR team visited the NS and rode the 'liners in 1962. They rode the cab of one of the trains and were absolutely enthralled

Apparently the North Shore itself wasn't as impressed, as it ceased operation the following year.

It was July 2004

1984?  The 3000 SSE was retired in 1992.

Thanks bikkuri,

I've edited my post.  Yes, I lived in Japan in 1984-85, not 2004.  I'd just been dealing with a post about the 800 series and still had that year on my mind.

Cheers

The_Ghan

I also have the MicroAce A8157 Odakyu 3100, and two Tomix 92009 Odakyu 7000 series (I think one used to be Clem's).

Cheers,

The_Ghan

It was July 2004

1984?  The 3000 SSE was retired in 1992.

Thanks bikkuri,

I've edited my post.  Yes, I lived in Japan in 1984-85, not 2004.  I'd just been dealing with a post about the 800 series and still had that year on my mind.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Trying to change your age huh lol