Kato transformer in The Netherlands

Densha

Here in the Philippines, we also use 220/240v. In anticipation of my upcoming Kato power pack, I was thinking of either getting a step down transformer (-$10) or an AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator) that has both 110v and 220v outlet plugs at the back but goes for $60.

But im weary of adding another component to the mix most specially if the included Kato 100v wall wart may be substituted for a "friendlier" universal wall wart.  

I've accumulated various wall warts from thrashed digital gadgets - printers, laptops, external hard drives, multimedia players, game consoles, portable dvd players, etc. etc.

Typically, these AC adaptors have an input of 100-240v  50/60 hz and an output of 12v  1.5a.  The 'male' plug is the typical 1/4" diameter size with a positive inner and negative outer configuration.  Some of these wall warts also come with various "prong" adapters so they could be used in various countries having different outlet configurations.

Could I possibly use any of these universal wall warts just as long as they output 12v  1.5a? 

Does the kato power pack's power input jack positive inside, negative outside?

Mardon

Mardon,

actually i think there was talk kato was using a universal adapter now, but i dont think it happened. 

yes you can use your own wall wart that will take 220/240 and output 15vAC 1.5A to run the throttle. BUT THE OUTPUT NEEDS TO BE 15V AC NOT 12V DC. 5v and 12v DC output is pretty standard, but the 15v ac may be a bit harder to find but an electronics supply shop or online parts place probably has them for $20 or less i would think. dont have to worry about plug polarity as its AC! size may be a problem as there are about 4 sizes of this form of plug standardly used. but again an electronics supply shop can get you the plug probably for a buck or two. that will fit the kato. i can measure the plug and see which one (usually measured by inside and outside plug diameters).

otherwise a stepdown transformer would work. i dont think you need a fancy power regulated one as the wall wart should give some buffer and this is not super sensitive electronics. but probably good to keep the stepdown unplugged when not in use to be ultra safe.

cheers

jeff

Thanks Jeff - Ill look around. Worst, I could always get an inexpensive step down transfo anyway.

Yeah, Kato should've went with a universal wall wart. Plug it anywhere.

Mardon

I think Kato's use of a lever for forward/park/back is much more realistic than a switch.  It's like a "reverser" handle in a real train.

A T-handle like some Tomix packs would be more realistic than a knob for the throttle, but my Tomix pack with a handle has a simple sliding switch for forward/park/back, and I much prefer using the Kato pack. As Rich says, it has a very smooth operation.

• Like 1