What's on your WISH LIST (HO scale only please)

bikkuri bahn

Please use this thread to express what you would like to see produced in HO scale, particularly in 1/80 16.5mm (16番) plastic by the bigger hobby manufacturers, or the smaller firms which deal in 1/80 scale.  As HO scale in Japan is a relatively small, niche market, perhaps rather than a "wish list", a more accurate term would be a "what if" list.  Feel free to discuss not only rolling stock, but also Japanese prototype structures, accessories, detail parts, and track.  Think of this as an exercise in fun and modeling philosophy in addition to making a list.

Here is my list:

-a small lineup of plastic kits for a typical rural station scene.  Does not have to be super-detailed (no need for interior details) to scare away the price inflating rivet counter collectors, but with enough fine tooling on the moulds and a relief level to set it apart from paper kits.  Keep the price realistically reasonable (relatively), say 3000 yen to 5000 yen max.  Something along the lines of AHM's old kits or the Atlas (plasticville?) in terms of generic setting, but Walthers Cornerstone in quality.

1. a rural station (田舎駅), suitable for a single platform setup scalable to a side platform + island arrangement.  Have a choice of roofs- either Japanese tile (kawara) or slate/tar paper/sheet metal, the latter is necessary for modeling northern locales.  Easily kitbashable for expansion.

2. overhead passenger walkway- wood and surplus rail construction (prototype, that is).

3. freight shed, open ended

4. platforms, stone, with built in steps

5. assorted trackside structures (ground frame, sheds, switchman's shanty, lamp shed)

6. a few station front businesses/structures- such as a taxi garage, Nittsu branch office (freight forwarder), inn (ekimae ryokan), and diner (shokudo)

Rolling stock:

-8600 series mogul

-a reissue of the Kato D51, but with detail parts to customize into the various versions (headlights, auxiliary oil tanks, winterization equipment)- I think Mark Newton would agree with this

-a B6 tank in plastic

-a 20 series kihaniyu type diesel railcar (combine express/mail)

• Like 1

You're absolutely right about that, BB, I do agree with your suggestion for a re-issued D51. But I think all your list entries are good ones, I'd happily buy anything you've mentioned, particularly for the rural station scene. Great idea!

I'll give my "wish list" a bit of thought over the next few days.

All the best,

Mark.