Long Runs and Premature Wear

Guest Closed Account 1

Guest Closed Account 1

This dawned on me when I was last running my Kato Jet RDC.

How long in time is considered too long to run a model train?

I mean the motors usually heat up no more than 10 degrees F after a warm up (infrared thermometer). So how do you know that you have been running the motor too long? Regardless of DC or DCC.

I don't think there's a "too long", although I suppose there could be if you were pushing the motor to its limits (heavy load/steep grades) and it overheated.  I've never actually heard of that happening to anyone.  More likely is that you only get so many hours of running before you need to renew lubricants, and failure to do so will shorten the life of the gear train, and possibly the motor. And with plastic gears, you only get so many hours total running before those become worn.  I don't have enough experience with Japanese trains to guess how long that would be.  I have heard of that happening to display models that run for hours at a time, but don't have direct experience there.

on the jrm layout i try to check and make sure we dont run a train for more than an hour at a time to make sure we dont overheat. also use the ear as well as when things start to make that grinding noise there is usually trouble!

i probably have one or two motor cars a year go down and need some serious cleaning/lubing/fiddling to get them back into smooth running after getting a lot of use on the jrm layout.

at times you will get motors being much hotter than 10 degrees above ambient, usually means trouble!!!

jeff

As a model railroader I never thought I'd be in need of an infrared thermometer !!!!

Cheers

The_Ghan

You might if you run trains 8-10 hours a day at shows every 4-8 weeks like some clubs do.  But just for casual use I don`t think so.

Guest Closed Account 1

Infrared is what is used to check your automobile engine not a meat thermometer.

Handy inexpensive tool for your pit box. I got mine at the RC hobby shop.