Barriers and security systems

Dani

I've been "travelling" through freight stations in Japan thanks to google maps and street view, and "walking" through a grade crossing I saw many curious things, take a look to the place:

http://maps.google.es/maps?q=freight+station+tokyo,+japan&hl=ca&ie=UTF8&ll=35.481361,139.639009&spn=0.001629,0.00235&sll=40.396764,-3.713379&sspn=12.476512,19.248047&vpsrc=0&hq=freight+station&hnear=T%C3%B2quio,+Jap%C3%B3&t=k&layer=c&cbll=35.481282,139.639066&panoid=VznjhlaN7fTcM3BwHfxF4w&cbp=12,19.25,,0,9.17&z=19

First of all, I see like cameras installed between the railways towards the car way (those short boxes, like radar cameras). Does anyone know what is that? At first sight I thought it was like a sensor or camera to make sure no car is crossing when train arrives..... is it?  ???

There are also other taller boxes, the closest one in the image has some letters. I can understand red ones, it says something like "No trespassing" or "Keep Off" (tachiiri wo kinzuru?), but I don't understand the function of that device... seems an intercom....  ???

And the last curious thing, one of the trains is just 3 or 4 meters far away from the grade crossing and barriers are opened!!!!!!! Is it stalled? LOL

It's fantastic to be able to fantasy travel to Japan and virtually walk through the streets.....  :cool:

Cheers,

Dani

bikkuri bahn

The camera like devices you see at grade crossings are optical sensors that detect an obstruction when the crossing gates are down. It will trigger a warning signal visible to oncoming trains.  The short, black colored boxes in the picture are not these, but likely shunting signals.

The sign is a no trespassing sign or more accurately "no entry to unauthorized persons". Sorry don't know the function of the boxes, but possibly a device involving any empty coaching stock movements as...

...the scene is not a freight station, but rather Keihin Kyuko's Kanagawa Shinmachi Rolling Stock Shed.  The 1000 series pictured is parked on a storage siding, and thus the crossing is not energized.

• Like 2

The camera like devices you see at grade crossings are optical sensors that detect an obstruction when the crossing gates are down. It will trigger a warning signal visible to oncoming trains.  The short, black colored boxes in the picture are not these, but likely shunting signals.

The sign is a no trespassing sign or more accurately "no entry to unauthorized persons". Sorry don't know the function of the boxes, but possibly a device involving any empty coaching stock movements as...

...the scene is not a freight station, but rather Keihin Kyuko's Kanagawa Shinmachi Rolling Stock Shed.  The 1000 series pictured is parked on a storage siding, and thus the crossing is not energized.

Although the barriers will come down the moment the train goes "live" and starts moving.

Cheers NB

The silver box atop the sign could be a manual "lower the gates so I can get this train out of the storage siding" control box.  The one on the far side of the train looks like it has buttons, and it's about the right height/location for a non-driver to reach from the train (assuming he's in the cab next to the driver).  The near one seems a bit close to the crossing for that, though.

• Like 1

Although the barriers will come down the moment the train goes "live" and starts moving.

Maybe not.  I don't see any gap in the rail that would indicate an electrical sensor based on track resistance measurements.  A normal crossing would

have those a ways back on the exit track to clear the crossing once the train left, and much further back on the approach to get the gates down.  But in a storage siding, it's likely other control methods are used (remote control, or a local box for manual control).

• Like 1