Another quick question on WS Incline sets!

SubwayHypes

So, i have been searching on the internet for a good place to buy some WS incline sets, however i am pretty confused, maybe you guys can help me out again.

I need a incline set that rises to about 4inches over the course of 4-5 feet. 

How is the % related to inches, like i see the 2% incline for sale, but i cant figure out how many inches it rises.

I wish i can see the box in person, but these internet sites barely show what im buying.

Martijn Meerts

Not sure about inches, but 2% incline means going up 2cm for each meter of incline. Depending on whether or not you have overhead wires and such, you'll need about 5-6cm of clearance. 2% in model railroad terms is a very slight incline, 4% is common, 10% is sometimes even used as well.

Note though that 4% is difficult for longer trains to get through if you build the incline in a curve.

The incline we used on my father's layout rose to about 5cm, we used the 4% one there (I think ;))

The percentage is the ratio of the incline. a 2% ratio means you get a 2 inch incline over a distance of 100 inches.

If my calculation is correct, 4 feet is 48 inches, so to get an elevation of 4 inches over a distance of 4 feet, you would need an incline of 8.33% ...

On my layout, I use the 4% WS incline. 1 box of 4% WS incline gets you all the way up to 4 inches over a distance of 100 inches (8.33 feet).

Cool, thanks alot guys.

The inclines i needed were the 4% over 8' inclines, and i ordered two of them.

Im gonna paint them cement colored, i was told to use acrylic because enamel based might melt the incline styrofoam?

Darren Jeffries

Dunno about enamels, but acrylics are fine to use on styrofoam.

I would avoid Enamel on Expanded Styrofoam, it does have an element of solvency that may damage the foam. I would stick with Acrylic.

Martijn Meerts

Depends on which enamel you use, some are nasty, some aren't. That said, the modern acrylics are about as good as enamels anyway, and much easier to work with too.