What would you suggest when the rail systems stops and commuters stranded?

gmat

From Japan Today, but not many responses. But I wonder what people here might suggest?

What should authorities and transport companies do when tens of thousands of commuters are stranded at stations and are unable to return home in times of disaster?

http://www.japantoday.com/category/have-your-say/view/what-should-authorities-and-transport-companies-do-when-tens-of-thousands-of-commuters-are-stranded-at-stations-and-are-unable-to-return-home-in-times-of-disaster

Best wishes,

Grant

What are they supposed to do?  There's not much they can do.

But this is why I think shutting down transportation systems should really be a last resort.  It shouldn't be done unless absolutely necessary, and from what I've experienced in Japan, it generally isn't.  This is in contrast to where I live, NYC, where lately it seems like various parts of the transportation system will shut down basically without warning if there's a forecast of 30mph winds at some point over the next 24 hour period.  Over the past couple years, that has basically led me to stop taking mass transportation, lest I be stranded somewhere for no good reason.

I actually have been caught up in a transportation shutdown in Japan, though, but it was literally in the middle of a typhoon.  The shinkansen stopped running, but the local trains kept right on chugging along.  So we just took a local train back from Yokohama.  It was no big deal.  If it had been the US, no way anything would have been running.

If people know they're only going to be stranded when there is absolutely no alternative, they're less likely to mind the inconvenience because they'll know it's really necessary.  But people can adapt on their own, either having friends come and pick them up, staying in a hotel for one night or whatever.  It might be nice for the authorities to hand out food and water to those who really have no way (no money, no friends or family) to either get home or find a place to stay.

It has to be done on a case by case basis with coordination with all authorities: there are so many different operators in Tokyo, some lines will be affected more than others.  Perhaps a certain number of "core lines"  (Yamanote Line, for example) should be designated to have priority in terms of re-opening after the incident has passed.  Other than that:

1. have wards set up shelters at local gyms and halls to provide overnight accomodation

2. companies allow workers to spend the night at offices, with basic toiletries/blankets provided

3. in the case of typhoons, where ample warning is provided, have companies tell non-essential employees to stay home, until the storm has passed

4. have large restaurants such as family restarurants (denny's, jonathans, gusto) cooperate in providing temporary shelter for those stranded on their way home, as well as convenience stores allowing non customers to use the toilets.

Thanks, Spacecadet and Bikkuri bahn.

I wonder what the exact reason why many of the lines were shut down. High winds or heavy rain? Would more personnel speed up inspection of the lines before clearing them to operate or would there be a bottleneck with a limited number of qualified inspectors?

If knowledge the path of the typhoon had allowed people in Tokyo, administrative and the general public, to predict that there might be disruptions, would they have been able to do something about it along the line of number three above, or would general inertia have prevented this?

I guess nothing like having an example to spur or support change.

Best wishes,

Grant

I wonder what the exact reason why many of the lines were shut down. High winds or heavy rain?

Railways suspend operations when winds reach a certain velocity (the thresholds are different between JR and the private lines).  I think that's one reason why some lines are open while others are still closed, other factors being equal.

Thanks,

How about the Tokyo subways. Was it when they emerged above ground that caused them to be stopped also? At the time, I thought that it might be due to flooding.

I expect that in a week or so, we'll get a news report on measures if there is another similar typhoon.

Best wishes,

Grant