Alstom's AGV

bikkuri bahn

Thanks for sharing!

Alstom did a great job with the last generation TGV (especially on the Thalys livery) but this one is not really beautiful.

Also, it took them almost 50 years to build an high speed EMU after the Japanese did it!  :tongue11:

Apparently the AGV was a project initiated by Alstom on its own, as SNCF wasn't interested.  Therefore it is intended as a export product, and the trend toward EMU layouts in the world market dictated the departure from previous TGV designs.

I actually like the look of the design, which seems dictated more by engineering than looking pretty ("form follows function"), which is similar to the Japanese HSR design philosophy.

Kumo, liveries are not "engineered" by Alstom. Liveries design are usually decided by the rolling stock owners.

To get back to the AGV. This might be the last and only order it will ever received. It's articulated design seems to make it persona non grata in the last stages of HS rolling-stock competitions. Even the SNCF doesn't seem interested but that might change with the programmed replacement of the first generation of TGV.

Also, from what I've heard, Alstom is developing another EMU layout this time without articulated cars à la TGV/AGV to compete better against Siemens' Velaro and Bombardier's Zephiro. It also appears that Alstom is working conjointly with SNCF on an AGV2 which would feature articulated and bi-level cars. At least that is what the rumours say.

Also, from what I've heard, Alstom is developing another EMU layout this time without articulated cars à la TGV/AGV to compete better against Siemens' Velaro and Bombardier's Zephiro.

That's interesting, as Alstom in their promotional literature and videos touts the stability of the articulated system in derailments compared to conventional "jackknife prone" bogie designs.

It is but that's not the problem. The problem is that Alstom can't compete with non-articulated EMUs on tenders crafted for them. It's like when SNCF issue tenders for new HST. Until now, the way they were written was allowing only one competitor to bid: Alstom and it's Duplex.

I think one of the problems with articulated stock is that maintenance and possession costs are higher than regular stock. Which are compensated by a lower track wear and maintenance.

Personally I would be happy to see something else than Velaros and TGV. The AGV have in my opinion a nice look.

Kumo, liveries are not "engineered" by Alstom. Liveries design are usually decided by the rolling stock owners.

I know, but the aerodynamic design of the train is designed by Alstom.

I said that the design of the TGV trainsets is better than the AGV and it renders especially well in the Thalys livery.

I would go for a bi-level AGV.  It is true about articulation design, my Kato TGV sets (I have 7 sets now) are among the best running sets I have vs. Fleischmann, Minitrix and Arnold.