First Imperial Train

Guest JRF-1935

Guest JRF-1935

Hope I'm in the right platform with this question.  Does anyone know what was the First engine to pull the Imperial Train?  And what year that was? 

Thanks

Rich C

The first time the Emperor travelled by train was on the opening day of Tokyo-Yokohama railway, on the 14th of October 1872. The loco was a 2-4-0T built by the Vulcan Foundry, numbered 1, which later became JGR class 150. The engine is preserved at the new Railway Musueum at Saitama.

The Meiji emperor must have been an enthusiastic train traveller, as there were 6 Imperial carriages built between 1872 and 1914.

Cheers,

Mark.

Guest JRF-1935

Hey Mark,

Checked out the Saitama Museum web site - would really like to visit there.  I think for My Imperial Train I'm going to stick with the C57-1 (1937) and the 1932 Imperial Train which includes the cover for the Emperor's car.  These keep me in my era of Japanese trains I am most fond of.  However,  if some manufacturer in Japan produces the E655 !  I'll buy that in a heartbeat  :laugh:

Regards,

Rich C

My pleasure, Rich. I have seen photos of C57s decorated to haul the Imperial train, so that would be an appropriate choice. FWIW, I've seen photos of just about every class of JNR steam engine decorated for Imperial train working, so you have a wide range to choose from.

Cheers,

Mark.

Bugger me, Mark!  How do you know THAT?

That's the beauty of having a decent reference library at home!  :laugh:

There are two English-language books I have that detail the activities on the opening day. One is "Japanese Railways in the Meiji Period 1868-1912", by Tom Richards and Charles Rudd. The other is the magnificent "Early Japanese Railways 1853-1914" by Dan Free. Both draw on the contemporary account written by Charles Wirgmann for the Illustrated London News.

Cheers,

Mark.

Guest JRF-1935

My pleasure, Rich. I have seen photos of C57s decorated to haul the Imperial train, so that would be an appropriate choice. FWIW, I've seen photos of just about every class of JNR steam engine decorated for Imperial train working, so you have a wide range to choose from.

Cheers,

Mark.

Thanks Mark

I've seen photos of a lot of JNR engines decorated to pull the Imperial train also, and not just steam.  Thats why I was interested in finding out the First engine.  The 2 books you mentioned are very good reference with the Dan Free version receiving the best reviews.  Some still available at Amazon.com 

Appreciate all your help,

Regards,

Rich C

Cheers,

Mark.

Thanks Mark

I've seen photos of a lot of JNR engines decorated to pull the Imperial train also, and not just steam.  Thats why I was interested in finding out the First engine.   The 2 books you mentioned are very good reference with the Dan Free version receiving the best reviews.  Some still available at Amazon.com 

Regards,

Rich C

they had a HO of the 1 loco in kit form from world kougei. shame they don't have it in N or at least not that i could find.

Martijn Meerts

I think MicroAce has done the 1 loco, but that's a long time ago now, and if you're lucky enough to find one for sale, it's price is .... well :)

I think MicroAce has done the 1 loco, but that's a long time ago now, and if you're lucky enough to find one for sale, it's price is .... well :)

special ?  :grin

Guest JRF-1935

Thanks Martijn

You are right there - if you can find one  :laugh:  I was thinking of maybe trying to find a British model, then adding the Imperial markings - but then I'd have to find the original coaches to match.  Best bet for me right now is the (1937) C57-1 that I won at auction.  Now all I have to do is pull the trigger and order the 1932 Imperial Train set from HS that is still available. 

Rich C

Guest JRF-1935

Cheers,

Mark.

Thanks Mark

I've seen photos of a lot of JNR engines decorated to pull the Imperial train also, and not just steam.  Thats why I was interested in finding out the First engine.   The 2 books you mentioned are very good reference with the Dan Free version receiving the best reviews.  Some still available at Amazon.com 

Regards,

Rich C

they had a HO of the 1 loco in kit form from world kougei. shame they don't have it in N or at least not that i could find.

[/quoteThanks Keitaro

Couldn't find any N scale models either

Rich C

special ?  :grin

Don't give up hope if you keep your eyes open on various sales sites. I managed to secure a Microace A0276 with four coaches in a wooden box set earlier this year for normal retail price.  Can't remember if it was Plaza or HS restock, the latter line you must check each day for strange throwbacks from time to time.

Angus

Guest JRF-1935

Hey Angus

Glad you dropped by!  Good to hear from ya.  I never give up hope - "One Mans junk, is another Man's Treasure!"  That's the fun and beauty of collecting, and operating your trains.  You never know what you'll find on sale sites, auctions, yard sales and Thrift Shops until you look.  Have gotten "many" steals, and deals this way, and always looking for more.

Regards,

Rich C