A stunningly different Model rail Show!

kevsmiththai

Wwe had a unique experience last weekend when we exhibited 'Cuyahoga' our Z scale 'Nickel Plate railroad' layout at the Model Rail Live! show at Barrow Hill Roundhouse. The show combines a selection of some of the most inspirational model railway layouts with full size rail action outside.

We knew in advance that it was going to be something special as the newly built Peppercorn A1 4-6-2 replica 'Tornado' was to be  a guest engine along with one of only two remaining B1 4-6-0s 'Mayflower' both in steam. Also to be present were visiting diesel locos, the famous 'Brighton Belle' Pullman train under restoration and the first scheduling of main line shuttle trains supplied by East Midland trains to ferry visitors from Chesterfield Station to the preserved Midland railway roundhouse at Barrow Hill.

What we did not anticipate was being given the most stunning backdrop for the layout we have ever had, from left to right we had a Napier Deltic engine on a flat wagon, a timing case from one of the engines showing the way the three crankshafts were arranged and then one of the preserved locomotives 'Tulyar'

IMG_4683.jpg

IMG_4685.jpg

From the outset on saturday morning the show was packed and we were opposite the Hornby Trains stand who were the shows major sponsor, For much of the time you could not see the 60ft stand for people. I found it almost impossible to get away from the layout as we were so busy, even for a pee!

Sunday was not quite as busy and in the afternoon I managed to get out for a while to video the unique ambience of this event, The video is shots of the layout in action interspersed with full size action outside

Thanks go to the Barrow Hill Engine shed society, Model Rail magazine and Hornby trains for putting on one of the best shows we've done. I've already spoken to the organisers about taking our British Z layout 'Midsomer mardy' next year!

KEV

• Like 3