Typhoon # 15 causes Tokyo Metro Stoppages

Tonight's News has reports of people waiting outside of Shibuya Station and waiting in lines for taxis outside of Shinjuku Station. My wife said that the Odakyu line was also stopped. She also thought some people might have been released from work early. More wind and shaking outside my fourth floor south facing balcony tonight than on earlier typhoons.

From NHK's 7:00 bilingual News; the Odakyu, the Keio Line, the Yamanote Line, all Tokyu Lines are suspended. The train schedule board at Shinjuku showed most lines blank, so more lines must be stopped. Great crowds outside Shibuya waiting for the buses. Some people are apparently deciding to walk home.

From News footage from Shibuya, strong wind but not so much rain at 19:00. News update; all trains at Shinjuku are stopped. But later said that service on the Chuo Line between Tokyo and Tachikawa was resumed at 18:00.

Update; Many schools and factories shut down early today, but for many, it appears that it was too late as train lines had already been closed, from around 16:00. Schools apparently closed around noon, so they might have missed the stoppage.

I think that there should be contingencies where the train lines should warn authorities that they plan to shut down service so that it could be announced on the News so companies could make plans to have workers stay later or overnight rather than jamming the stations.

Update; Apparently most of the train lines around Tokyo were stopped.

Twice in one year. Very bad.

My wife said that it was a bad year for Japan.

Best wishes,

Grant

NHK is reporting 3 hour waits for buses leaving Shibuya Station.  Even if the buses leave, they are struck in traffic.

Just in: the Tohoku, Joetsu and Nagano Shinkansen have returned to service as of 19:50