Tomix Track with Rerailer: S140-RE(F), 1523

The_Ghan

I always thought this Tomix Rerailer was supposed to put a wheel back on the rails as the train ran over it.  Last night I had my basic starter set out, which includes one of these, and decided to give it a go.  It didn't work!  It doesn't matter whether I moved the leading or trailing edge of the bogie off the rail this part simply did not re-rail the wheel. 

Am I mistaken?  Is the part simply a mis-named crossing?  It does, afterall, come with the necessary parts to form up a road crossing.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Guest Closed Account 1

They don't always work the first time.

Have 2 on my portable DCC double test track and I'm going to take them out and use the Kato 24000 shoe horn railer.

What? What? What? ... is this a Kato part that works with Tomix track? Or are you referring to the plastic re-railer that comes with some sets?

Cheers

The_Ghan

it is a re-railer. mine works fine but some models don't work well on it.

When i was in jpn last i went to a jpn model convention and i saw alot of ppl uses it befoe stations and had that as a foot path to cross the tracks.

I have noticed tomix series 100 shinkansen fails on it and steamers do too mainly those with the loose front and rear wheels.

It is a re-rerailing track, but no, it's not perfect :( Typically, I have to run a car by hand two or three times back and forth to get it to take :(

Well, I'm relieved that it is not just me.  I also tried different speeds but the results were generally the same.  However, I don't have any steamers and couldn't test them and I also didn't test any of my locos or a power car on an EMU.  Something else to try.  I guess the part is best used as a crossing.

Cheers

The_Ghan

PS:  Perhaps the "F" in S140-RE(F) stands for FAIL!

I have a few of them, and can see how it would work (although never used it for re-railing) And I always wondered what the funny set up with the rails was. But it is indeed a crossing.. Now I know that it has more than one purpose.. :grin

I guess the part is best used as a crossing.

I don't have any experience with the Tomix rerailer. But I use the Kato one. It doesn't always work, but it works often enough that it's useful.  I keep a pair on my test track because I don't always get all the wheels on when testing trains and some wheels will occaisionally derail on the sharp curves it uses.

You could use the Kato rerailer with FineTrack using a pair of the conversion tracks.  But there's also the Atlas rerailer, which might work better with FineTrack.

Rerailers are almost always designed to look like grade crossings as that provides an excuse for having the plastic between the rails that forces the wheel back onto the rail.  The Kato unit comes with plastic fittings the can make a pair of them look like a double-track crossing. 

Well, I'm relieved that it is not just me.  I also tried different speeds but the results were generally the same.  However, I don't have any steamers and couldn't test them and I also didn't test any of my locos or a power car on an EMU.  Something else to try.  I guess the part is best used as a crossing.

Cheers

The_Ghan

PS:  Perhaps the "F" in S140-RE(F) stands for FAIL!

i have found it works best with a 280 s before it. i have mine right in front of a corner and it works fairly ok.

I fins if it's just one truck poped off. e.g. the wheels are just off the track and still straightish they will do on fine but if it's turned alot in one direction left/right it won't work.

It simply works by the edge of the wheel hitting the grooves and being lifted back on the track but if the wheel is turned too much all that happens is a skate board grind over the grooves.

I've decided that the rerailer is like adding a spoiler to the back of your Toyota.  It won't go any faster, but you can say to your mates, "and it comes with a spoiler", over a beer!

Cheers

The_Ghan

• Like 1
Guest Closed Account 1

I've decided that the rerailer is like adding a spoiler to the back of your Toyota.  It won't go any faster, but you can say to your mates, "and it comes with a spoiler", over a beer!

Cars don't go faster unless you put numbers on the doors or parts brand stickers on the back end and rocker panels.

No, no, no .... it's "go-fast" stripes and air dams that don't actually connect to the intake manifold that REALLY make a car go!

Cheers

The_Ghan