Veteran on the plow

Nick_Burman

VERY fruity, Nick!

Now for the tricky question, is the loco a genuine BLW product, or a local copy?

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark, according to what I found in the web this is the real mackoy - built 1923, exx-Musashino Railway #13, ex-Seibu E13, to Konan Railway in the late 1940's (when the railway was built - possibly the last rural private electric railway to be built in Japan). Where it a copy there would be some subtle differences, usually around the windows, hoods or trucks. The interesting thing about this loco is that it has its hoods (and possibly also its control post) set on the right, contrary to other B-W locos sent to Japan who have hoods on the left. One wonders if this loco was built for stock...

Cheers NB

• Like 1

Interesting! I hadn't noticed the hood layout until you pointed it out, either. I also didn't realise that this loco was from the same batch as Seibu E12, which appears in "Rails to the Rising Sun". That book lists it as BLW 57423. I have a contact in the US who is researching B-W steeplecabs, I'll get onto him and see what he knows. Thanks for the answers!

(Did I mention I'm a big fan of B-W steeplecabs?  :grin )

Cheers,

Mark.

Interesting! I hadn't noticed the hood layout until you pointed it out, either. I also didn't realise that this loco was from the same batch as Seibu E12, which appears in "Rails to the Rising Sun". That book lists it as BLW 57423. I have a contact in the US who is researching B-W steeplecabs, I'll get onto him and see what he knows. Thanks for the answers!

(Did I mention I'm a big fan of B-W steeplecabs?  :grin )

Cheers,

Mark.

Seibu E12 was Musashino #12. And I'm also a fan of steeplecabs in general. However the only B-Ws in South America were in Chile.

Cheers NB

Nick, I didn't know there were B-W steeplecabs in Chile, I've only seen photos of boxcabs there. But there were also four B-W class Ds sold by the Pacific Electric to the Argentine FC General Urquiza in 1951. They were seen stored unserviceable at the works at Lynch in 2001, and were apparently in the care of a local preservation group. Makes me wonder if they're still around today...

Cheers,

Mark.

Nick, I didn't know there were B-W steeplecabs in Chile, I've only seen photos of boxcabs there. But there were also four B-W class Ds sold by the Pacific Electric to the Argentine FC General Urquiza in 1951. They were seen stored unserviceable at the works at Lynch in 2001, and were apparently in the care of a local preservation group. Makes me wonder if they're still around today...

Cheers,

Mark.

They still are there, however as I write now there is a major ruckus going on as Ferreoclub Lynch has had half of their land taken back by the state for the expansion of a nearby (private) university. I'm not following the case however it seems that in the process the museum site has become land-locked and has lost its running track.

Cheers NB