ma c11 and 9600

keitaro

Anyone get these models or one of them?

If so can i get you're impression i got one and while the model looks great it's not a good runner even though the description claims improoved for better running ....

Martijn Meerts

Haven't gotten my 9600 in yet (it's held up at customs, like every package coming from Japan ;)), but I do have an earlier 9600 series from MicroAce. That one is a great model, but it doesn't run as smooth as I would've wanted. It hasn't really run much at all though, so it might improve once it's run in a bit.

i did a good run in today but still fails to run good. i think it's the plastic bits causing issues with the pistons etc as they rub and are pretty loose on the model.

I got the c11 to go all right but he keeps jamming on my tomix double crossover....

the 9600 still does the jerking thing.... On a brighter note the sera1/sefu1 are pretty good would be nice to upgrade the rear car with some red LED's.

there so tiny but look awesome behind a steamer. I been running them behind my d5197 as the 9600 doesn't do them justice due to it's inability to run smooth and makes them clickety clack everytime it jerks. I may give the 9600 a complete unassemble / reassemble and see how it goes after that.

Martijn Meerts

My 9600 and sera1/sefu1 car set are on the way, should arrive late this week or early next week. I'll see if I can give the train a quick run when it arrives. Might not be able to since I've already started packing for the move to the new house, and pretty much all the track etc. are packed away :)

fair enough i pulled it out today and the 9600 runs like crap again. removed arms and pistons still runs so i am confident they are not issue like on the realine.

I opened it up and while everything looks fine it seems as though the issue may be to do with the cogs/gears inside they seem rather loose and adjusting the little brass bolts on each side doesn't seem to make tighter.

anyway the c11 seems to be satisfactory in running now. and quite a nice looking model for the price. just wish i could work out why it's stopping on my double crossover switch.

Guest JRF-1935

Keitaro

I have the Kato #2002 C11, and she runs very smooth.  No problems through the Kato Double Crossover switch.  This might be a stupid question, but do you have power on both sides of the Tomix Double Crossover?  If so, maybe a little sanding of the points might help. 

Rich C

Hi Rich,

The power runs across both track and both sides.

the issue occurs running straight ahead not switching lines. I cleaned the track and cleaned the metal strips that power the wheels.

No other model gets stuck there or even jerks. I spent 1 hour running it and looking underneath to see any rubbing or issues can't work it out lol. runs pretty good now though after home brew pickup upgrade.

Guest JRF-1935

Hi Keitaro,

The only other problem I have found running through Double Crossover switches using Tomix or Kato engines, or powered cars, is the lack of power to propel the Engine or power car through the switch. (double crossover switches both eat up a lot of power)    A "little" boost from the Kato power pack seems to cure this problem and doesn't have a significant impact on the speed.

Other than that, you might have some metal shaving residue in the switch from a cleaning car that grinds the rails.

Rich C

I know what your saying but this one is more like it jams but i can't see where even pushing it needs a cm push or so before it starts chugging on.

no nothing touches from anyside. and the wheels seem flush in the grooves of the track.

It's the weirdest thing. I always have odd issues with MA models  :laugh: :laugh:

Martijn Meerts

Finally got my 9600 in yesterday. I'll find some track and space to set up an oval and give it a whirl over the weekend.

Finally got my 9600 in yesterday. I'll find some track and space to set up an oval and give it a whirl over the weekend.

let me know how it goes i just spent no joke 5 hours on this tonight.

It now runs ok.

still a touch of rubbing.

It seems a combo of

- wheels being not same width apart.

- some adjustment of the pistons/arms

- making sure the little nuts are in and not hanging out where the wheels are (very fiddly)

It still jerks a touch if you saw my d51 realline thread it's kinda like that still at low speeds once it's medium speed it goes smooth I guess it won't be the best runner when I end up doing dcc due to these reasons.

Martijn Meerts

Haven't had time yet, but I did at least find some track, a power pack, and my roller bench thingy, so I should be able to give it a go soon :) (I have some other, recently arrived trains to test as well :))

So I emailed hs and they sent me a new model. I have to mail back old one.

I ran it and it runs much better. Still not as good as my realline or my tomix and kato ones.

But I am happy. My tweaks of the faulty ones made it better but not as good as the replacement runs.

It still jerks some times but overall I am now happy with the model.

Also the c11 with the issue of getting stuck on the double switch. I found that it's pick up is limited to rear wheels and a small 4 cm length of the double switch was not being powered due to isues with the moving rail not touching.

I guess the reason I was not able to replicate on other models is because they are of greater length than the c11 and not limited to rear wheels being used for pickup.

I also wondered why my thomas model did not have this issue and remembered i wired it up for all wheel pickup.

All in all a happy ending. I guess i would go a micro ace steamer again but if kato/tomix/realline offered it i would go them over the MA.

Martijn Meerts

Finally check my 9600.. Ran it on the roller bench, instead of on the tracks, so haven't been able to check how it runs on tracks.

I did notice though, that just like my older MicroAce 9600, it doesn't turn 100% smoothly, there seems to be something sticking. The old 9600 got a bit better after it ran a while, so it'll probably be the same here.

After I move, I guess the first step will be to set up a couple of loops of track, and then go through each train 1 by 1, clean it where needed, add fresh oil/grease, and just have them run half an hour each direction.. That'll set me up for a couple of months =)

This is beginning to sound like a design flaw or manufacturing problem.  If a rod is a fraction too short (or long) or something isn't quite milled correctly it can cause uneven running.  I once dropped one of my Hornby OO scale 4-6-0 locos and bent one of the rods.  It wouldn't run smoothly.  I took it apart and straightened it ever so carefully.  It still had a slight "limp" at very slow speed.  Broke my 14 y.o. heart!

Cheers

The_Ghan

Guest JRF-1935

Keitaro

Glad you got that problem figured out.  I'm with you - I'd rather have a Tomix or Kato engine, although the few MA's I have haven't given me any problems.  I think The Ghan might be on to something here about production issues.  Very interesting to hear about your power problem with the double crossover switch.  I'll keep that in mind, and check that first, if I start having problems with mine.

Rich C

i soldered the switch in the end a touch to give it pick up on a section of track owrks better now. I mention in my project page somewhere.

i'll admit if they did something no one else does and i want it i will get it but if some one is offering it i will get it from them "being kato or tomix or realline" that is.

i'd have no problems buying up more realline models but i want 2 of each and HS are stubborn and don't want my order......

Guest JRF-1935

i soldered the switch in the end a touch to give it pick up on a section of track owrks better now. I mention in my project page somewhere.

i'll admit if they did something no one else does and i want it i will get it but if some one is offering it i will get it from them "being kato or tomix or realline" that is.

i'd have no problems buying up more realline models but i want 2 of each and HS are stubborn and don't want my order......

Great! - Thanks!  I'll look at your project page.  I'm not real happy with HS since HW closed - I did buy the EF10-24 by MA, and she runs "fine" - I guess I've been lucky with the few MA's I've bought.  Tomix is still my #1 preference, and Kato 2nd. 

Rich C

There slow as shit to send payment requests lately as well....

I ordered fri and still no request to pay even in the menu logon preparing still....

Anyway back ontopic the c11 can pull the whole 7 car 24 series type 24 set and it's additional 4 cars i got.

Without the need for the luggage van w/motor. though on my layout it's best to add the luggage and not strain the motor.

have on of those (had it past 10 years )

my micro ace came with small coal tender (micro ace C-11 171)

nice running loco .....  (gonna try to get cars for it, the right cars

if i can, if no can probably model the current prototype of it

there are 2 of em running double header 171 and 207 with 2 cabooses and 4 coaches)

found this vid  for those..... (there are few more, any 1 know what cars are those ?  can get those?

at least same style)