Kato throttle from Japan.

tantousha

Hello world!

I just bought a Kato throttle from Japan (it was cheap) and I assumed the transformer for it would be 100V-240V like most of the ones I came across in Japan. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case, it was only rated for 100V. Nervous I tried plugging it in and running it alongside my North American purchased Kato throttle. It seemed to operate fine, the only difference being that the train ran a lot faster making me think it was outputting a higher voltage. Has anyone else successfully run a Japanese-rated throttle in North America?

I know that 100V is the standard for Japan. When I lived there, most appliance wall warts were rated for 100V-240V so I figured this one would've been too.

To be on the safe side just pop down to your local Radio Shack or whatever and pick up a local wall wart with the same output voltage, that's what I did with the throttle that came with my Unitram set to run it on our 240V.

CaptOblivious

I plug my Tomix throttle straight into the wall, and have never had any problems with it at all. Undervoltage is much less of an issue than overvoltage!