Love For Japan?

Claude_Dreyfus

Claude_Dreyfus

It was the Omocha Express appeal that really made me wonder about this subject. That, and the general concern shown by members on this forum for Japan following the March 11th disaster. Do we, as enthusiasts and modellers of Japanese railways have a greater love for Japan than other modellers for their country of choice? For this I am talking about those of us who model countries other than our own...

For example, do modellers of German prototypes love Germany and all things German? They may think that the ICE3 is a cool train, and that German model railways are some of the best-quality in the world; but do they feel the same way about a suburb of Frankfurt, or German comic, or German television? I'm only picking on Germany because it is by far and away the biggest railway market in Europe with many adherents from other countries. Many of my fellow club members model railways from other countries, but aren't that bothered about other parts of the country, people or cultures.

Sure, there are groups like the SNCF society, or the German Railway society, for those with a real interest, but I have come across plenty of modellers who aren't that fussed about the country they are depicting. I ask them 'why model France/Germany/Switzerland (Choose your country)' and frequently get the response, because the models are better quality, or the range is better. Because I love Germany, or because I think the country is fascinating is rarely given as an answer.

For modellers of Japan, there is not that indifference. More often than not talking to someone with a Japanese layout will venture away from railways and towards how cool Japan in general is. We seem to care more about the country we show an interest in.

Do others on here think the same way, or is this just me? Are Japanese modellers and railway enthusiasts really any different from the rest?

Claude,

interesting point. For me yes i do have more of a fascination with japan and japanese culture than i do a lot of other places in the world. part of it (and all mixed into it) is the great trains they have and that its such a part of their culture as well.

with Omocha Express it was a very direct connection with us here in dc. jrm pres Matthew Davis and his wife lived and worked in iwate for 2 years and started the sister club connection with jrm. they have a very personal connection to the devastated area's people. the sister club connection then brought the rest us closer to iwate as well. this is what really made us want to do something more direct with our iwate friends than just send in donations to the general relief efforts. having an interest in japan was secondary in this situation.

in jrm here we have probably half the club members have traveled to japan multiple times. the others i think would like to eventually.

my feeling is like yours that for the most part i have seen a strong fascination with japan and japanese culture that goes along with their japanese train hobby.

interesting thought, thanks

jeff

My love of Japan started off with Anime/Manga films and Japanese Cars, have owned Honda, Toyota and currently have two imported Subaru's

Petrol Head and cartoon fanatic here.-own 15 different DVD's just in the INITIAL D SERIES.

Others include Perfect Blue, Aika, Evanelion ,LA Blue Girl and then films like Weather Woman,Tokyo Desire and Erotic Train.

Think I must have a very understanding wife.

There was a time when I thought about modeling Europe.  I used to love the TGV, ICE, all the other European trains.  I had thought of doing a fantasy layout where all these trains run together.  I never felt anything about Europe itself, though; I just liked the trains.

Then I visited Japan for the first time, and I was instantly hooked.  I didn't actually start a layout until about 10 years later, but I was always thinking about it, and constantly "researching" Japan's trains without realizing it (I basically just read anything I could find about them online that was in English).

I'd had an interest in Japan in general before that but it was kind of a typical early 20's Japanophile phase - some anime, some pop music, no real understanding of the culture that spawned any of it.  (I'd had a similar Anglophile phase before that.)  But my first trip there 11 years ago was just a life altering experience.  Going there alone was a big part of that, I think - I really was forced to immerse myself in the culture.  (I was there for work.)

So now as I build up my Japanese layout, I'm actually doing it for the purpose of feeling closer to the country.  I'm modeling trains I've either ridden on or have always wanted to ride on, and my plan is to build up scenery that's similar to what I ride through every time I visit now (on the Joban Line).

I really don't know if modelers who model other countries from afar do this.  For me it's almost a way to preserve my memories.  I'm pretty sure this is actually somewhat universal among railroad modelers in general, though - many of them model what they know, or knew in the past.  I don't think I'd have modeled Japan if I just had a distant interest in the country; I'm doing it because I've been there many times, and I want to feel like I'm there all the time.  I'm probably doing it for the same reasons a lot of people in Japan itself are doing it; I mean that's the same reason someone there would buy a "Sayonara 0 Series" shinkansen set, just for example.  It's basically nostalgia, but not in a "forever" kind of way; I know I'll be back there in a few months riding these same trains.  But I just want to feel that connection all the time.

Martijn Meerts

I was interested in Japan (mainly Japanese culture and history) long before I started with Japanese trains. Always liked watching the old samurai movies, and the Japanese horror movies (by now it's Asian horror movies, not just Japanese :))

I also do like some anime, but usually only the more serious stuff, can't stand the Naruto or Dragonball and that kind of stuff.

As for the Omocha Express, I donated not because it's Japan, but because I like the initiative. I like that donations go straight to those who need it, rather than go through some massive organization. If something like Omocha Express would be set up for the children in Africa for example, I would support it as well.

As a child I used to read books about East-Asia a lot and was a huge train fan, but never made that connection until I found out about Japanese railways in my high school days. That was the time this new anime wave spread across the western world, with Dragonball, Pokémon, Gundam Wing and whatnot. Not very late after that I changed my H0-gauge collection for Japanese N-gauge. Now I'm very close to graduating from university as a BA Asian Sciences with Japanese language and culture as my main subject.

In about a year or less I'd like to go to Japan for a long time, as my girlfriend got a job at Nissan/Renault near Yokohama and it's not very likely she'll move to Europe very soon. So, I have to move over to Japan in order to be with her. After being separated for more than 1,5 years (with a one time visit before christmas last year), it's a heavy weight to carry and I couldn't cope being without her for much longer. I could go directly after graduation, but I'd like to give her some time to get used to her job (she has a 2 months 'entry period' on another location), settle in a new place and then head over there. In the future we'll probably head back to Europe if she gets the opportunity from her new boss, but for now it'll be Japan for us.

So, for me, Japan has become more than a point of interest with intriguing railways.

I have got so many interests towards Japanese Culture, Anime, Music, Art, History and many more.

What got interested was the Amreicanised re-doing of Macross (Robotech) and from there Anime was the main focal point then Japanese Drumming (taiko) and when I had an early interst in railways in Australia, I wanted to know more about the Japanese Rail system and then in 2006 Finally joined up to the Australian Japanese Model Railway Group and got involved with Wadaiko Rindo (Melbourne, Victoria Australia Taiko Drumming Group)

All of this is also in my intro thread.