EF66 Super Liner

Krackel Hopper

Krackel Hopper

hey hey,

I was going through my collection yesterday and I realized, I have no idea where this EF66 Super Liner ran, or what it hauled.

Can anyone tell me a little more about this livery?

superliner_7.jpg

Thanks!

Correct me if i'm wrong but standard freight. Was originally a JNR design i beleive the super liner in general comes from "high speed freight" and the remodelling of them by JR.

Due to increased demand, JR Freight began building more EF66s in 1989 - this second tranche of locomotives was classified EF66-100, with locomotive numbered EF66-101 to EF66-133.

Can haul a 1000 tonne train at 100kmp/h not bad for a design from the late 60's 1968 being the first JNR to be made.

Where it ran? not sure but wiki says this

Originally for Tōkaidō Main Line and Sanyō Main Line I guess this was for JNR era.

this video shows the model as stated in the notes of video they don't usually have the caboose at the back.

bikkuri bahn

The Super Liner designation was introduced at the beginning of the JR Freight era, but it seems it didn't last very long.  This video is of a EF66 with a Super Liner headmark, but in the standard livery. Note the piggyback trucks on the last flatcar.

According to Japanese Wikipedia, high-speed freight trains are divided into three classes:

A: 100 - 110 kph, "so-called 'Super Liner'"

B: Top speed of 95 kph

C: Top speed of 85 kph

I found a blog indicating that this paint scheme was in use at the breakup in 1987, but was painted over during the next four years.

There's also an aside on a japanese wikipedia page that refers to the Superliner as an Express freight from Tokyo to Sapporo but I haven't found anything to confirm that, and perhaps it was merely saying that there was a high-speed Tokyo-Sapporo freight. Since the EF66 is a DC loco, it couldn't have gone the whole way to Sapporo.

Another blog seems to imply that the Super Liner was a named train with a headmark, and that it used the original EF66 operating at a top speed of 100 kph, but I may be misreading the translation.

Here's an image of the Super Liner Cargo Express headmark.