Kato 10-538 - how to open the car....

JohnD

Hi all

I have bought the Kato 10-538 and the interior light set 11-210.  The front / end cars are difficult to open for installing the light kit.  The cars opens easily in the rear end, but the front end seems stuck.  I am reluctant to use force - anyone there with a good advice to open the cars without breaking it apart?

Regards

John

The don't, those things are fragile. The front must be stuck because of the light apparatus.

Try this:

If the body comes free except at the very front, this is the problem. Sometimes you can free it by pushing the roof assembly forward relative to the lower part of the train, but sometimes it just stays stuck. The solution is pretty simple: pop off the front of the cab: it’s attached to the roof assembly (see photos below), but can be pried off with your fingernails; caution, it’s reluctant to come off but don’t force it, just keep prying gently and it will work free.

http://www.sumidacrossing.org/SumidaCrossing/DetailingAnEMU.html

It's not for another commuter train but I'm sure yours work the same way.

The don't, those things are fragile. The front must be stuck because of the light apparatus.

Try this:

If the body comes free except at the very front, this is the problem. Sometimes you can free it by pushing the roof assembly forward relative to the lower part of the train, but sometimes it just stays stuck. The solution is pretty simple: pop off the front of the cab: it’s attached to the roof assembly (see photos below), but can be pried off with your fingernails; caution, it’s reluctant to come off but don’t force it, just keep prying gently and it will work free.

http://www.sumidacrossing.org/SumidaCrossing/DetailingAnEMU.html

It's not for another commuter train but I'm sure yours work the same way.

Thanks a lot for kind help.  The cars came apart after some light work - your link was very good!

Now all my cars have interior lights - and it really makes a difference! :grin

One wonders - how come interior lights is not standard on new sets!

Guest Closed Account 1

Try toothpicks at all 4 points to separate the body from the chassis.  I use one small 2mm screwdriver and finesse them all off with not much trouble. Once you do it then it'll get easier.

One wonders - how come interior lights is not standard on new sets!

Because they want to keep the cost of the cars low. Or, more cynically, they want to make extra money charging $7 for a bit of plastic, some reflective tape, and components worth substantially less than $1.

They used to install lighting in some trains (the old Narita Express for example) but I don't recall seeing it on any recent models.

I have to say, I rely on two main blogs to get me out of trouble with these sorts of things:

1. KenS - Sumida Crossing, and

2. Brill27mcb - trainweb/tomix

They've both helped me look like a genius on occasions ... thanks guys!

Cheers

The_Ghan

• Like 2

Tomix has a few sets with lights another is the hidaka line kiha 130 i think the hidaka pony model does too!!

But yeah most models dont to make extra $$$ lets face it extra $2 in manufacturing cost or make $7 a car!!