Usui Toge Vids

clem24

Hey Clem,

In the second video why are locos hooked up to the Chuo Liner and the Shonan train.  Is this prototypical?  If so, it would be cool to have a couple of references.

Thanks for the great post.

Cheers

The_Ghan

i think it's just for fun.

the second video with the 183 being pulled is prototypical i think later years anyway?

if you're interested in this tomix just announced the 189 asama in green, used to go on the Usui pass or another steep line and got pulled by an ef63 and ef62? As an 8 car. Then went to 12 car formation. on seperate line now replaced by the shinkansen.

the asami

couldn't find anything on the one from video posted by Clem specifically, but i'm sure i have seen either the 183 or 485 - 200 or 300 maybe.

i could be wrong though

I do believe they used 3 types: 183, 189, and 489.

Tomix makes the 489 Asama in white/green.

Kato makes the 183/189 in white/green and red/cream and the 489 in red/cream.

angusmclean

i think it's just for fun.

the second video with the 183 being pulled is prototypical i think later years anyway?

if you're interested in this tomix just announced the 189 asama in green, used to go on the Usui pass or another steep line and got pulled by an ef63 and ef62? As an 8 car. Then went to 12 car formation. on seperate line now replaced by the shinkansen.

Short reference in Wikipedia regarding this line

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usui_Pass

and at Japanese Railway Society

http://www.japaneserailwaysociety.com/hiroshi/ykokw/ykokw.htm

Great possibilities for modelling a section of a layout to include banking movements.

Angus

bikkuri bahn
In the second video why are locos hooked up to the Chuo Liner and the Shonan train.  Is this prototypical?  If so, it would be cool to have a couple of references.

Why certainly yes.  See the variety in this video, including a three unit 115 series:

From a bit earlier time, this is a 169 unit on an express service pulling into Yokokawa Station after an assist:

*the Shinetsu Line really was interesting back then even without the pusher operations, 100% JNR design rolling stock.

Top stuff Bikkuri,

Thanks for posting these.  It would certainly raise a few eyebrows to run a consist like this at a show!

Cheers

The_Ghan

Thanks for posting these.  It would certainly raise a few eyebrows to run a consist like this at a show!

In America, everyone would just view it as 2 locos pulling a bunch of passenger cars. :sad: