MicroAce 789 Series Super Hakucho

Krackel Hopper

Krackel Hopper

hey hey,

So I received order of my 789 Series Super Hakucho a couple days ago.  On my test run, I discovered a light in between cars 2 & 3.. actually two lights.  One is on car 2 and one on car 3.. They are white lights, offset to one side of the door between the cars.. the opposite side of the door is a black box with the number twelve in it.

Does anyone know what the significance of this is?

P8010001-1.jpg

P8010010.jpg

Disused cab units? I've always why JR Hokkaido made so many trains with cab units, especially the 281/283 sets. You can clearly see where they had cab windows and are now essentially boarded up. Personally, I think they are pretty pointless on the MA set and just serves to drive up the price of the set hahaha.

Fenway Park

In the past JNR and JR placed cab controls in intermediate cars for shunting and also when the trains divided on route. Some routes did not warrant the full length train travelling the whole distance and it was easier to drop the rear part at an intermediate station. The next train heading back would then couple up to the 3 or 4 cars waiting in the platform.

The cab control would allow the uncoupled section to be moved to a siding if required. Also useful for maintenance and shunting in depots.

If you look at JNR EMUs there is usually one if not two inner cab cars so equipped. It is possible that these are now not used as such on the 789 but may have been retained for maintenance purposes. 

• Like 1
Fenway Park

Hi,

There is an announcement on the Micro Ace web site regarding this set with an apology. The web translation is poor. If one of our members can help we may discover the reason for these lights.

The item links to a PDF describing the model which has two sentences struck through and replaced with new text in red.  Pasting that into Google Translate provides the following:

"The power unit is the same as conventional products (corrected August 02, 2011)"

"Head Light is the same as conventional products (corrected August 02, 2011)"

I can't tell what the struck-through text said, but apparently it said something else.

Maybe that it uses the old drive mechanism (non-flywheel) vs. the newer one found in the 789-1000 (flywheel).

Krackel Hopper: feel like taking yours apart to confirm?  :cheesy