1964 film about 0 Series shinkansen- all color 35 mins.

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Another great find by quashlo.  Download it while you can. 3 parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwXAxaJPJq4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jZQHmOIlsc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnZ0A8MnU5A

This film, by Nippon Sharyo and the Nihon University Film School, is quite possibly one of the most detailed on the subject of railway rolling stock production.  Here is quashlo's description:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=81589022&postcount=756

• Like 3
bikkuri bahn

Watching the first clip, around 1:24 when the rolling stock plant entrance is shown, I noticed it said "Tokyo Branch" on the gate plaque.  Curious, I checked to see if Nippon Sharyo had a plant in the Tokyo area.  And indeed a search showed there was a plant located at Warabi, in Saitama Prefecture, alongside the Keihin Tohoku Line, which operated until (?)1972.  Here is a site with some pics of the plant:

http://www.hotetu.net/haisen/kanto2/110424nisyawarabi.html

Scroll down to the aerial 3/4 view, and you can see the entrance shown in the video in the mid-lower left, as well as the big assembly building at 1:32 in the middle right.

So, it seems many of the 0 series were not built at Nippon Sharyo's Toyokawa Plant, but rather right in the Kanto area at Warabi.  Of course, other builders were involved in production of the 0 series, as far as I know.

• Like 1

Very enjoyable, but I was surprised at the limited range of tools demonstrated being used in the video.  For example, not a socket set to be seen, nor a torque wrench.  It seems that almost every bolt was tightened with a shifter - not the best tool for the job.  I know it was 1964 - before I was born even - but do you want to show a guy tightening nuts with a shifter and banging his fingers all the time because he can only do a 1/6th turn with his shifter? Geez!

Still, the 0 series Shinkansen was more reliable than our Tangaras, Millenium, Oscar and Waratah trains .... so it makes me wonder how we build trains down here in Australia - we probably bang things together with rocks from the side of the road ... ???

Cheers

The_Ghan

Very enjoyable, but I was surprised at the limited range of tools demonstrated being used in the video.  For example, not a socket set to be seen, nor a torque wrench.

Sockets and torque wrenches are effete little tools that are of limited use to blokes building trains. I couldn't see any shifting spanners, just open-enders.

Still, the 0 series Shinkansen was more reliable than our Tangaras, Millenium, Oscar and Waratah trains .... so it makes me wonder how we build trains down here in Australia - we probably bang things together with rocks from the side of the road ... ???

You don't know enough about the reliability of any of these trains to make a valid comparison. Judging by appearances, I thought it was architects who use rocks from the side of the road to build their buildings.

Mark.

I've always been amazed at the pride the Japanese show for the Zero-Kei, and rightfully so, it's still one of the most recognizable and iconic train ever build.

Even though I personally prefer the original 200 series, the 0 series isn't far behind.

Amazing footage! Even though it has something bittersweet about it as well, knowing that these early production batches would have a service live of barely 15 years at most (the batches from 1964 being retired and cut up as early as 1977 after just 13 years of service). the later batches, and especially the -2000 subseries from the 1980's fortunatly had a much longer service life, with some sets likely surpassing 25 years at retirement in 2008. the funny thing, is that the 1980's build shinkansen, all had a long service life (for a Shinansen set that is) as from both the 200 series (1982-1986) and 100 series (1984-1991) quite a few sets have served quite considerable lives.

Once again, thanks for the footage bikkuri bahn!

... I thought it was architects who use rocks from the side of the road to build their buildings.

Mark.

Mark! How dare you! That remark just shows your utter contempt for architects ...  :grin

I for one would never do such a thing.  I'd have to look at catalogues of stone, visit show rooms, examine factory floors, choose the most expensive stone to be cut into the most intricate of patterns .... it might look like stone from the side of the road, but I promise you, it will have come from the opposite side of the world and suffered as much tooling as it could take before being carefully laid to the architect's instruction ... how else could I justify my fee?

Cheers

The_Ghan

PS:  Sorry.  I've been doing too much CityRail bashing.  Sydney's trains aren't that bad. I'll back off a bit.

... I thought it was architects who use rocks from the side of the road to build their buildings.

Mark.

Mark! How dare you! That remark just shows your utter contempt for architects ...  :grin

I for one would never do such a thing.  I'd have to look at catalogues of stone, visit show rooms, examine factory floors, choose the most expensive stone to be cut into the most intricate of patterns .... it might look like stone from the side of the road, but I promise you, it will have come from the opposite side of the world and suffered as much tooling as it could take before being carefully laid to the architect's instruction ... how else could I justify my fee?

Cheers

The_Ghan

PS:  Sorry.  I've been doing too much CityRail bashing.  Sydney's trains aren't that bad. I'll back off a bit.

Ever work in NYC?  That's what all the architects do here.  I haven;t seen a building go up in the last 20 years where they didn't use foreign stone for the facing.  Which is a shame because we have a lot of abandoned quarries that once produced very fine stone.

For example, not a socket set to be seen, nor a torque wrench

Cheers

The_Ghan

And not a single CAD program or even a computer to be seen in the drawing office. Steam era methods and technology everywhere.

... Steam era methods and technology everywhere.

Exactly my point westfalen!  You're right on the money!  Considering we're talking about 1964, well into the jet era and NASA's space program, you would think that there would be torque wrenches and sockets used.  Afterall, the torque wrench was invented just after WWI and perfected, I believe, by Chrysler, while the socket wrenches date back to the industrial revolution and the mid 1800's.

Cheers

The_Ghan

That was very interesting and reminds me of the video of the Victorian Railways Spirit of Progress cars being built. It is truely amazing on how things got done in the past and how wonderful they work.