Scratchbuilding in Z. A Nickel Plate Road 2-8-4 Berkshire

kevsmiththai

kevsmiththai

I have been running this thread on trainboard but thought you might be interested as well. It is a series of videos showing the scratchbuilding of one of the famous Nickel Plate road 2-8-4 Berkshires in Z to run on our 'Cuyahoga' ehibition layout. I need a few of these 'Superpower' beasts and the chances of anybody bringing out a ready to run one in the near future are remote.

The Nickel Plate was one of the last users of main line steam in the U.S.A and resisted dieselisation long after most other railroads, Their claim to fame was fast freight traffic across the Mid west particularly perishables and the Berkshires were fantastic at pounding out the miles on fast heavy freight trains

img337.jpg

Part one of the videos shows how I tackled the tapered boiler and firebox and in the videos I show you don't need a lot of machine tools to do a lot of the operations of scratchbuilding in this small scale

img338.jpg

img339.jpg

part one is at

I'll add more in a bit

cheers

KEV

• Like 1
kevsmiththai

Part two is more boiler work particulalrly holding and marking out

video is at

[urlhttp://youtu.be/0eklu2JCvEU[/url]

part three looks at boiler fittings like the chimney dome and sandbox

img579.jpg

and the video is at

in part four I explain how it is relatively easy to work in sheet metal like brass and Nickel silver

video-

kevsmiththai

part 5 looks at how we are going to fit the cab and firebox around the donor marklin BR41 chassis

img580.jpg

and in part six we look at the running plates and make a start on the four wheel trailing truck

progress so far

The loco is seen attached to one of the big RA22 tenders from one of my H6E 2-8-2s and a modified marklin caboose

IMG_4450.jpg

I am taking the layout and the prototype model to a show in Leyland in august and will give it a good test run before proceeding further

KEV

Kev,

I don't think you guys are really testing yourselves.  You should be assembling this scratch-build model in a bottle !!!  :grin

Just kidding!  I think it's a top project.  I'll me reviewing those YouTube videos tonight over a bottle of shiraz.

Cheers

The_Ghan

kevsmiththai

Part seven of the Berkshire build.

I dug out an ancient Taylor Hobson pantograph engraver that had lain unused at the back of the workshop for a few years since I cut down on the number of gauge 1 and gauge 3 locos I was building. The question was whether it would screw down far enough to cut out Z gauge components

IMG_4500.jpg

The video goes into detail of how these things work using a simple plasticard pattern to cut out Nickel Silver or Brass and concenmtrates on batch building the big 12 wheel tenders the Berkshires hauled

IMG_4473.jpg

as you can see the bits are starting to mount up in the tray

video of part 7 is here at

The Berkshire had its first test run yesterday mainly to check there was no shorting out and so far so good! We have our 'Cuyahoga' layout at Leyland model railway exhibition in a couple of weeks time and we will see what it will pull

I'll keep you posted

KEV

kevsmiththai

Things are really starting to come together now as the Leyland show approaches this weekend. The main priorities were to get the front end of the engine on and get the tender rolling. Progress up to now is on part 8 of the build video.

Posed on the Cuyahoga turntable the 2-8-4 looks the part but there is obviously a lot of detail still to add

IMG_4528.jpg

Video part 8 is here

The important thing now was to make sure that the loco stayed on the track, didn't short out and would actually pull something and the results can be seen here

IMG_4526.jpg

I will be shooting some video at the show and I'm hoping the two AZL SD70s I've ordered turn up from the states in time to give them a work out as well, Fingers crossed

KEV

• Like 2

Kevin,

superb work! you really have a nice shop there and the talent to use it to boot! will love seeing this project progress!

cheers

jeff

Rather you than me, excellent work, have built a few Robert Ray wooden kits- spine cars and the caboose.

Also built Zm nickel silver kits but a project of that scale - credit where credit is due.

Next project a Big Boy?