The DEVIL made me do it (Also known as: "it happened by itself")

My guilt has lifted!!!   :angel12:

You mean lifted .. x2.. Cause the pictures only show at most half his collection seeing as what you see are only the sets in the front row LOL.

Martijn Meerts

I don't have quite as much as Massimo, but I'm getting dangerously close ;)

On the other hand, with the move to the new house coming up, and therefor having a large room available for trains, I guess I'll soon be investing in lots of track, DCC components, interior lights etc. rather than just buy more trains. Although, I do still have quite a bit on pre-order at various places ...

Nozomi4ever

Dangerous question.  I own about 40 consists, including what is in the post and on order with HS.  Actually, I just did a count: 44 passenger trains plus 2 x track cleaner cars, 1 x Dr Yellow and 7 x EF Locos (4 x 58, 1 x each 64, 66, 81), and 1 x ED61 Brown.

Hahahaha Massimo is the wrong person to be talking to about this...

https://picasaweb.google.com/massimo.biolcati/Collection

OH MY GOD!!!  ??? : ???

That 's a lot!!

Hi Folks,

Well, my package from Ebay: raymondstchung arrived yesterday.  I have the following comments to make about the whole deal:

1. Somewhere along the line, Raymond refunded me $20.  It might have been my bad math, I'm not sure, but it happened automatically so this guy is obviously honest;

2. Raymond, packaged every set with the utmost care, using cling wrap to group small items and plenty of crunched up paper from "The South China Morning Post" .... it makes for a good read, by the way!

3. The shipping box was well oversized to ensure that there was plenty of padding around the items;

4. I've checked every car of every set.  All motors, lights, couplings, etc. are working. 

5. There was one problem with the 200-2000 Tomix 92625 lead car - it fell apart in my hands as I took it out of the case.  Close examination revealed that the piece moulded as seating had been inserted too far, causing the sides of the car to splay out so that it would not grip the undercarriage.  It took just a few minutes to fix and the fit is quite snug.  I've had this happen to another of my Tomix models in the past.  Anyone else ever experienced this?

6. The package shipped on 20/7 and arrived on 25/7 - that's quick enough for me!

This has been one of the best Ebay experiences I've had.  If any of you has his/her eye on other items that he has for sale I suggest that you won't be disappointed.

Cheers,

The_Ghan

Martijn Meerts

I do occasionally have cars that have the shell not clipped on correctly, or couplers that are slightly misaligned. Also, I sometimes have several wheel sets floating around in the box because they weren't clipped into the bogies correctly. Seems to happen for all the 3 big brands in my case.

Never had anything that was actually broken though, so it's really no problem.

I think one of the great things about Kato/Tomix (but not MA) is that everything is clipped together. Nothing is glued. And the tolerances are so perfect that everything can usually snap right back together if they fall apart during shipping.

In all these years, only 1 train broke during shipping - a Kato Super Azusa. Like all Kato trains, the chassis is held in place by a clip on the windows. But because the windows are quite brittle due to them being clear, one clip broke during shipment and now the chassis doesn't quite sit right (but hardly noticeable) so I didn't really care too much.

But yeah usually I'll a wheel set that's popped off or the power bogie that's fallen off. No biggie. Just snap back in.

Ghan,

ha you really bit big time!! i got the grief for breaking down on one train! you will enjoy them!

cheers

jeff

Yeah, I think we all know that temptation. Right now I dream to pull the trigger on Tomix Reissue of the JR Limited Express Sankyu. I always wanted a Kiha 58/28 set and I love the color of this service. It's tempting, so tempting...

Yeah, I think we all know that temptation. Right now I dream to pull the trigger on Tomix Reissue of the JR Limited Express Sankyu. I always wanted a Kiha 58/28 set and I love the color of this service. It's tempting, so tempting...

My 58/28 is in the mail as we speak since all my other july preorders delayed. ended up adding some couplers to the order and kato's branded micro trains couplers.

Will show you some pictures when it comes, I really love this one as well. Wish I could still ride it and fill a 32gb card up on my camera  :grin.

looks as though probably won't get till monday though tracker shows in japan outward dispatch meaning arrive friday in aus and dispatched on monday morning to me. :sad:

Nozomi4ever

The DEVIL made me do it.  I didn't really want to ... well, I did really want to ... but only if I don't get caught by Mrs Ghan.  Actually, it's Jeff's fault (cteno4) anyway because if he didn't post the original information here http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,5069.0.html then I never would have known about it.

It was "Not-Me"!  Damn "Not-Me" ... if I ever get my hands on him ...

OK ... so here's what happened.  I went to Ebay, following the link that cteno4 posted.  I saw lots of good stuff.  Lots of good stuff that I wanted.  But it was so expensive.  Like fine wine.  Like Michelin Star dining.  I confess.  I visited that link EVERYDAY since July 2nd, when cteno4 posted it.  I gawked, drooled and dreamed about some of Raymond's stock.  I even fantasized sleeping with one set!

Each night, the Devil whispered in my ear, poked me in the ribs, coaxed me, urged me.  But I would resist.  I even posted in that thread that I would not purchase, due to the prices.  "Cut a deal", the Devil would hiss at me, "You'll never know if you never ask!", "Mrs Ghan will never find out, and if she does what's the harm? Buy her a handbag!".  But I would counter with the Lord's Prayer ".... Lead us not into Temptation, but deliver us from Evil" ... Oh, how I struggled.  I'd made a list to the value of around $3,500.  I'd trimmed it down to $2,500, $2,000, then $1,800.  I had run the "if I won the lottery" scenario and every possible permutation of it.

But the Devil is a snake.  Patient.  Unyielding.  Relentless.  I, on the otherhand, am human.  Quite partial to beautiful women, fine wine and the occasional N Scale Japanese model.  I had no chance at all.  I was doomed from the moment I read the header on cteno4's thread.  And that inevitability came to its logical conclusion earlier today.  I had checked all the suppliers I know of and hunted around for others selling the same items, but it seems the things I wanted were just not available.  I broke.  I shortened my list to $1,400 worth of stuff and contacted Raymond.

Raymond seems to be a pretty cool guy.  He obviously had no idea about the pact I've just made with the Devil.  He read my email which detailed my shopping list and then sent me a nice reply, explaining that the Tomix 300 series has some discolourisation of the diaphrams.  So I struck that one from my list ... and added the Tomix 0-7000 fresh green Sanyo instead.  I did mention that the Devil is relentless, did I not?  The whole lot now came to US$1,310.00 and shipping US$95.  Raymond knocked off US$50, maybe for good luck.  So, my shopping list appears below:

1.  MICROACE A0021 JR Series 215 Version 2 HOLIDAY VIEW YAMANASHI Rapid Train 10-Car Set (US$285.00)

2.  MICROACE A1596 JR Series 200-1500 Shinkansen Renewal Train for Tohoku Shinkansen 25th Anniversary Basic 6-Car Set &

3.  MICROACE A1597 JR Series 200-1500 Shinkansen Renewal Train for Tohoku Shinkansen 25th Anniversary Add-on 4-Car Set (US$375.00)

4.  TOMIX 92625 JR Series 200-2000 Tohoku Shinkansen Basic 6-Car Set (1 Set) &

5.  TOMIX 2824 JR 226-2000 Add-on Car (Motor Car) (1 Set) &

6.  TOMIX 2825 JR 226-2000 Add-on Car (3 Sets) &

7.  TOMIX 2826 JR 225-2000 Add-on Car (4 Sets) &

8.  TOMIX 2830 JR 249-2000 Double Decker Green Car (2 Sets) (US$425.00)

9.  TOMIX 92752 JR Series 0-7000 Tokaido/Sanyo Shinkansen (Fresh Green Color) 6-Car Set (US$225.00)

Four consists in total, for US$1,310.00 plus US$95.00 postage minus US$50.00 nice guy discount.

I'm not gloating.  I'm confessing.  I just wanted the stuff.  The thrill.  The rush.  I now have a 200 series 25th Anniversary consist on the way and soon to be in my roster.  Don't go telling me I've got a good deal or a bad deal or otherwise.  The deal is much bigger than the money that has been spent.

Do you think she will find out?  Mrs Ghan?  Does she count the folders on the bookshelf?  I see her looking sometimes.  Occasionally, she opens her mouth as if to ask a question ... but halts herself before any words come out.  What is she thinking in those moments, I wonder?

Guilt. Do you know what I could have done with that money?  A whole case of E&E Black Pepper Shiraz or Leeuwin Estate Art Series Chardonnay.  Oh-My-God !!!! I could have sponsored a child, or three!  Clothed the homeless, helped the weak, fed the poor. But ...

The Devil made me do it!

The_Ghan

PS: I'm reminded of a poem I studied in highschool .... "A Document" by Australian Poet, Judith Wright: http://www.poetrylibrary.edu.au/poets/wright-judith/a-document-0477033

God! You are hypnotizing me after looking at your post. I have to look at the same Ebay seller again and again and now I am planning some of the items he has for sale!! :grin???:laugh:

God! You are hypnotizing me after looking at your post. I have to look at the same Ebay seller again and again and now I am planning some of the items he has for sale!! :grin???:laugh:

Uh oh, what did i start... maybe i should get a commission from this guy...

jeff

Jeff,

Raymond mentioned that you were his first buyer.  What did you pick up?

Cheers

The_Ghan

the series 811spaceworld train that started this whole debacle! id been looking for it for years and yahoo japan was the only real option, but would have been expensive!

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10032415

funny that everyone was so upset by the slightly over retail prices but ended up wanting them enough in the end to buy the rarer items! if you want something rare you usually have to end up paying for it...

cheers

jeff