Hokkaido Shortline

Nick_Burman

Fenway Park

Nick, thanks for posting this. I have seen stills of this line in the past but never film. A fascinating glimpse of the past.

It would be difficult to replicate in N as the US models of moguls are too big.

Nick_Burman

Nick, thanks for posting this. I have seen stills of this line in the past but never film. A fascinating glimpse of the past.

It would be difficult to replicate in N as the US models of moguls are too big.

Even using the Athearn/Roundhouse 2-6-0? I've seen several Japanese modellers using these locos to represent US-built 2-6-0s in N scale.

Cheers NB

Great find. The spider web of railways that once covered Hokkaido always amazes me, great to see some film of it. A style of railroading that was once common everywhere but no sadly gone.

bikkuri bahn

The Suttsu Railway is a very interesting subject.  It was opened relatively late, in 1920, and was built to serve the herring industry based out of Suttsu, as well as an ore mine in the area.  There even was an incident where fish oil from a load caused a train to slip!  It apparently paid off all construction debts after 13 years.  However, the after effects of World War 2, the collapse of the herring stock, the closure of the ore mine, and the shift of passengers and freight to bus and truck, caused traffic to drop precipitously.  Nationalization and integration into the JNR network never came about, and the storm damage in 1968 was the final straw.

• Like 1
There even was an incident where fish oil from a load caused a train to slip

Sounds like a plot from Thomas the Tank Engine. :grin

Guest JRF-1935

The Suttsu Railway is a very interesting subject.  It was opened relatively late, in 1920, and was built to serve the herring industry based out of Suttsu, as well as an ore mine in the area.  There even was an incident where fish oil from a load caused a train to slip!  It apparently paid off all construction debts after 13 years.  However, the after effects of World War 2, the collapse of the herring stock, the closure of the ore mine, and the shift of passengers and freight to bus and truck, caused traffic to drop precipitously.  Nationalization and integration into the JNR network never came about, and the storm damage in 1968 was the final straw.

Thanks Bikkuri Bahn for the history

Rich C

I have a DVD with footage of some shortlines in the US south that were still running steam into the early sixties and the similarity is uncanny, even the loco wouldn't look out of place.

Fenway Park

Thanks for the reply Nick. I was not aware of the Athearn model. I accessed their web site and see what you mean.

That's an idea for the future.

Malcolm

Thanks for the top post.  I was particularly keen to know how that engineer kept his gloves so clean !!!

Cheers

The_Ghan

Thanks for the top post.  I was particularly keen to know how that engineer kept his gloves so clean !!!

Cheers

The_Ghan

A half dozen pairs in his lunch box. :grin