"Tsubame" in 1957 - drop yer jaws!

Nick_Burman

Nick_Burman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3ZnlgGk3F8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGnM8P-0Hpc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TiH_zTTMk4&feature=related

A three-part film made in 1957 by a JNR employee showing the operation of the "Tsubame" express train. First part shows loco being taken from the enginehouse, coupling to the train and then taking the consist to Tokyo Station for boarding. Second film shows train on its way to Osaka. The sight of steam oozing from the EF58 was quite surprising.

Check the other footage from the same source, there are some real gems! Choshi with trolley poles, Tobu steam trains, industrial steam...

Cheers NB

• Like 3
bikkuri bahn

I'll be riding the current incarnation of this train, the shinkansen from Hakata to Kumamoto, next Saturday.

Interesting videos, but the thing that always drives me crazy about videos like these is that even though some of the film was clearly shot from inside the train, they never show the interior!  (Unless I missed it; I did sort of start skipping around a bit toward the end.)  To me the interiors are as interesting as the exterior of any train, especially when looking at historical footage.  This is an issue I have with a lot of railfan footage and photos.  (Somehow airplane buffs don't seem to suffer from this interior-phobia, as it's pretty easy to find an interior photo and/or video of pretty much any airliner you can name, and on most airlines throughout history too.)

Were these all coach trains at that time?  Did they have dining cars?

The steam I imagine is from the heating system; you can see steam oozing from beneath the passenger cars too.  I used to love that riding on Amtrak here in the 1970's and 80's...

Nick_Burman

Interesting videos, but the thing that always drives me crazy about videos like these is that even though some of the film was clearly shot from inside the train, they never show the interior!  (Unless I missed it; I did sort of start skipping around a bit toward the end.)  To me the interiors are as interesting as the exterior of any train, especially when looking at historical footage.  This is an issue I have with a lot of railfan footage and photos.  (Somehow airplane buffs don't seem to suffer from this interior-phobia, as it's pretty easy to find an interior photo and/or video of pretty much any airliner you can name, and on most airlines throughout history too.)

Were these all coach trains at that time?  Did they have dining cars?

The steam I imagine is from the heating system; you can see steam oozing from beneath the passenger cars too.  I used to love that riding on Amtrak here in the 1970's and 80's...

Spacecadet, the Tsubame was an all coach train. Its usual formation was a combine, several coaches (1st and 2nd class - don't think it carried 3rd) with a dining car in the middle and a parlor/obs decorating the tail.

Although most Japanese railfans deride it, I have a soft spot for the green scheme employed on the "Tsubame".

Cheers NB