Womens World Cup- inappropriate comments

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

This is one of reasons why I have a low opinion of fellow Americans:

http://www.japanprobe.com/2011/07/16/world-cup-facebook-status-updates-remember-pearl-harbor-bomb-japan-here-comes-another-tsunami/

*comments about nuking Japan while including facebook pictures of your kids is both sick and surreal.  Oh yes, it's all "just a joke" and in the spirit of competition.  Tell that to a Hiroshima or Nagasaki bombing survivor. I'm cheering for Nadeshiko Japan, who embody the best of Japan, while the "fans" of USA soccer embody the worst about the "land of the free and the home of the loud and proud".

Martijn Meerts

Unfortunately, a good number of soccer fans are idiots, regardless of which country they're from ...

Unfortunately, a good number of soccer fans are idiots, regardless of which country they're from ...

I might go further and say a good number of sports fans are idiots, regardless of which country they're from....

Add in alcohol with sports and you'll get a riot.  Witness Vancouver.

On the other hand people making Facebook comments like these often have it come back to haunt them in the work place. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately this is too common these days. I've noticed as social media has progressed folks communication has become briefer and devoid of much meaning or worse it is stuff like this. I would hope if they were to do some deeper, more thoughtful form of expession they would realize how hurtful and ignorant random spurts like this are. It's almos like in the process of being short they feel like their comment need to be more dramatic or flippant or provacative to be noticed. Just sad

I witnessed this too much with my Facebook "friends". One of the reasons I'm glad I got kicked off...

Jeff

It's sometimes a shock to see what comes out of the mouths (or fingers) of apparently "normal" people. I have to hope that people that hurtful and insensitive are just more noticeable, and not overwhelmingly common. Of course, with both social media and news media being the way they are, the jerks and loonies will get huge amounts of attention, while the kinder people (and, granted, the people who have but don't express jerky or loony opinions) just don't appear.

My guess (which is totally unproven, like almost all social theories) is that these people are exposed to a lot of the American "toughness above all" mentality, but to very few other ways of looking at things. I've met a lot of people who expect to be applauded for saying and doing things that establish their "tough attitude," and who get righteously defensive if you argue with what they say--as if you're trying to censor them. There seem to be two possible positions--proud "toughness" or defensive victimhood, with very little in between. Seems like an unpleasant way to choose to live, but it provides a lot of drama. Never mind that the toughness is apparently untested by any real events.

I think there is a new thinking in today's society when it comes to the media, it doesn't matter how you are represented or how you portray yourself as long as you "get air time".

Being "direct and to the point" is acceptable, with little regard for other people's feelings....and if you "stir the pot" so to speak.....all the better. (Isn't that the basis for majority of televisions shows today.)

There are a lot of "so called" reality shows on television and for the life of me, can't figure out why someone would want to subject themselves do those type of conditions or people.

I don't consider these zealots real "sports fans" because they have no understanding of the concept of sportsmanship.....they just want to be noticed and there motto is "Hey Look at Me!!".....and today's media encourages it by providing an outlet for them.

Martijn Meerts

Well, actually, they won 5-3 after penalty shoot out, as it was 1-1 after regular time and 2-2 after extra time :)

I've seen most of Japan's games during the world cup, and they definitely deserve it. Overall they were the better team. They also earned themselves a lot of respect from the neutral supporters because of their play style, as well as for them having a large banner which they unfurled after each game, thanking the world for their support after the recent disaster.

Japan also won the fair play award, as well as the golden boot for top scorer (Sawa) and the golden ball for most valuable player (also Sawa). I find the most valuable player award very fitting, considering Sawa really is like the mother in the Japanese team.

That said, the American team was excellent as well, and they too gained the respect of the neutral supporters because they kicked out Brazil. Brazil was probably the least liked team, because they faked injuries and tried to get other players yellow/red cards.. In short, the Brazilians played too much like the male soccer players :)

Well done to the Japanese Women Football Team, not just that today (18th July) is an extra hoilday for the nation, but it was yesterday that Japan had six festivals for the Summer and now the Women's Football Team able to win the FIFA Women's World Cup it would definitely bring some cheer to the Japanese People. :cool: After what has happened to them and what they expect to happen within the next few days (Typhoon Ma-on). I am sure they will be having a joyful time, except for the recent heatwave they have been getting! :sunny:

Oh, and the JAFL will be down in Australia (Sydney and Melbourne) in August to play for the International Cup (Australian Rules Football -AFL) so I will be seeing them when they get over here!

Ha ... didn't see any "Shisa Kanko" with those Japanese girls now, did we?  Well done and congrats.

Those comments in the link from Bikkuri are disappointing.  The come-backs are obvious but even I can't lower myself to that!!!

Cheers

The_Ghan