Woman jumps in front of Narita Express

"According to investigators, her body was hit by the front car and then propelled five meters, through the glass door of a station shop that was situated on the platform. Four shoppers sustained minor injuries in the incident. Police are currently trying to identify the deceased."

That's pretty amazing. First you kill yourself in front of everybody else who has absolutely nothing to do with it, you cause a massive delay and on top of that, your lifeless body causes collateral damage. Now, I don't care what motive you have to kill yourself, but on top of it being utterly egoistic and selfish, this is just... Hmm, well, I'm not doing that... I'll try to keep things civilised...

I'm sorry for the family, who should have taken care of her anyway and I condole the train driver, the innocent bystanders and investigators who have to put up with this nonsense almost every damn day.

Yes, this makes me a very angry man. I'm sorry.

Sadly in the comments section of this peice there is a person who is showing hatred against the japanese and likes to blame it was the women's fault without looking at the issues for what might of been the cause for her to do this to herself. I would agree that condolences to her, her family and those that were affected by this sad news of events.

Tony,

folks that are at that point of depression to take their own lives are not thinking rationally. getting mad at them is not productive, they are usually not looking at the larger ramifications of their actions, they are usually steeped in their own pain and depression. Its sad all around when someone you know takes their own life. I know its happened a few times to me. perhaps channel that anger into more constructive paths/emmotions, getting angry at a suicide like this is just less than useless.

jeff

@Jeff: I know, I know, but it's just very frustrating. It's not making me angry towards that person, but towards the damage done to others who have nothing to do with it. I've experienced things like that and even was short before acting stupid myself. Also, it has nothing to do with rationality, as the person who takes his/her own life has developed his/her own rationality.

Maybe it's just a big "up yours" to society in their mind and they want to go out with some spectacle, but still. It pisses me off, but then there is much one can do to prevent these things from happening. Next to that, it makes me mad only for that moment, but then I don't think about it. Sometimes you just have to get angry at things to appreciate other things more.

I dont think they are thinking of their deaths as being a spectacle in most cases. its just a method that is well know, something they think will be fast, and accessible. its at times public as they are on the edge of still calling out for help. once a person is that far they are really in a bad place and rational thought is not there.

this falls in the category of those bad things in life that happen that you just cant put any definitive blame to. you hope that there are better social nets to catch folks with failing mental health, but these days thats on a backslide.

i think you hit it with appreciating what we have more. this then leads to doing what we can to make the world around us better. extend a hand and do what you can, where/when ever you can, even if its no payoff to you. the more folks do this the more chance someone like this lady might have someone around them to extend a hand early on and avert something like this tragedy.

jeff

• Like 3

Jeff,

Well said.  It can take decades to shake the black dog off.  Suicidal people suffering from depression are looking for a quick and painless end.  It is often interpreted as dramatic but in reality they often choose a method simply because they don't want to be in control.  Sadly in this case, the woman's actions will result in others suffering depression.

Cheers

The_Ghan

bikkuri bahn
Sadly in the comments section of this peice there is a person who is showing hatred against the japanese

Linkey, welcome to the JT comments section.  Like most news site comment sections, they are the haunts of trolls and in this case, emotionally troubled people w/hangups about Japan (a fascinating sub group worth a study by psychologists and social scientists), as well as Corea fanbois and the odd 50 cent party member.

I can understand Tony's feelings - I've been involved in a number of incidents like this, and right or wrong one of the things you feel at the time is anger. But that soon passes, and I've often found myself thinking along the lines of "there but for the grace of god go I".

Jeff and Nigel are 100% correct when they say that the poor buggers who do this aren't rational. Like them, I believe that being dramatic isn't their intention.

Unfortunately, being involved in fatalities is an occupational hazard for traincrew. Some deal with it better than others. The thing to keep in mind is that you have no control over a situation like that, and that you're not responsible for another person's decision to end their life. It's not easy, but blaming yourself is not a good idea, either.

All the best,

Mark.

Last Thursday someone jumped in front of a train in the middle of platform 7 at Roma Street station here in Brisbane at 8am in the middle of the morning peak, all trains running through the city (which means pretty much all of them) were halted for over two hours, many between stations. That's just one that got in the news because it was hard not to notice, these things normally aren't publicised.

There was a recent incident, of a woman standing on a platform with her three year old daughter, she jumped leaving her little girl on the platform, when the guard was talking to control on the radio all you could hear was the girl screaming in the background. If you're determined to go there has to be better ways to do it.

Martijn Meerts

People have to be really down to commit suicide, but let's face it, society these days does drive people to it more than ever before. It starts with being bullied at school, which is far less innocent as a lot of people seem to think. A lot of people also get bullied at work, for whatever silly reason. There's also the "not-looking-perfect-according-to-some-sort-of-self-procaimed-expert" which affects some people more than others. Often, a combination of these things, plus some recent event can drive people over the edge, they just see no way out, and no one's there to support them. They just feel let down by everyone.

My youngest brother attempted suicide a long time ago. He had a lot of debts, a crappy job (at thus no way of repaying those debts), and drank too much. One night it just got too much and he jumped off a bridge into a river. A passer by heard it and called the emergency number. After that episode he spent a while in some rehabilitation center, and things are much better now.

Personally, I've also been at a point where I seemingly thought there was no other way out, but I can't remember much of it. I just remember walking to the train station to go to work, and then an express train blowing it's horn because I was right on the edge of the platform. I can't remember walking up to the edge at all, I seemingly just blacked out, or just closed off completely for a while there.

this time it is reported that it was a male in his 50's to 60's... It could be possilbe that the two suicide cases might be related, but not going into assumptions.

People have to be really down to commit suicide, but let's face it, society these days does drive people to it more than ever before. It starts with being bullied at school, which is far less innocent as a lot of people seem to think. A lot of people also get bullied at work, for whatever silly reason. There's also the "not-looking-perfect-according-to-some-sort-of-self-procaimed-expert" which affects some people more than others. Often, a combination of these things, plus some recent event can drive people over the edge, they just see no way out, and no one's there to support them. They just feel let down by everyone.

totally agree while have not been bullied at work before my previous job was horrible for this.

Every week it would be everyone whinging and making up crap about xx person then 2 weeks latter xx person and everyone else would be bitching about yy person who was originally in the bitching group.

Went on and on and on and many of the people quitting were due to this crap. What shits me the most is it is incredibly hard for employers to get rid of the main troublemakers who start the bullying.

I'm not sure about japan and there charities or anything but do they have things like kids help line or beyond blue etc etc like we do in aus?

It always seemed to me that in japan charity donations were more rare but could be that my lack of japanese language i miss these as i do not understand the advertising/article etc.

Sorry,

I won't anymore.

Grant

I wasn't meaning you shouldn't Grant. Just saying Queensland Rail has an agreement with the news media where they don't run stories about suicides. They rip us to pieces though, when some fool walks through the crossing gates and gets killed as happened earlier this week or kids on the tracks throwing rocks at trains don't see the one coming the other way.

Life is about helping others, if everyone did so there would be no reason for anyone to commit suicide.

and it would be foolish to think that it could not happen to you. No man can bare the weight that this world can place on him.

Inobu

• Like 2
bikkuri bahn

The discussion thread about the flasher now seems better, in comparison to this.  ???

Rich K.

Hear hear.  Though seeing some middle-aged guy's oscar meyer is not something most people would find pleasant, it's far preferable than being a witness to someone ending their life.

Martijn Meerts

Bikkuri, definitely true.. A friend's father used to be a train driver until he hit someone who threw themselves on the tracks... He's had an office job ever since then, he just couldn't drive a train anymore.