Outside or inside (tracks) platforms

Guest ___

Do you prefer station paltforms that are outside or inside the tracks?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer station paltforms that are outside or inside the tracks?

• Outside
    • Inside

Since I can't recall ever having the discussion. Which do you prefer and why when it comes to platforms that are outside or inside the tracks.

• Like 1
Mudkip Orange

Question:Do you prefer station paltforms that are outside or inside the tracks?

Yes

No

As a matter a fact, I do prefer station platforms that are either outside or inside the tracks. The alternative is no station platform at all, since even a station platform thousands of miles away is technically "outside" the tracks...

• Like 1

I think you should have turn this question the other way round:

Do you prefer tracks that are inside or outside station platforms?

Sorry, couldn't resist. That was a long time since your last poll.

to be honest i hate platforms :p

Everyone should ride on a horse and jump in while it moves much more econmical and less wasted time stopping at stations  :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin

I preffer outside stations though

bikkuri bahn

As a photographer, I prefer outside platforms at the smaller (2 track) stations.  Multiple track stations with island platforms are OK.  Island platforms in the case of subways are cheaper to construct since both tracks can be served by the same infrastructure and auxiliaries, and the tunnel diameter can be smaller.

Bikkuri, I was going to say that for photo purposes, I prefer island platforms.  I saw this thread a few hours ago but forgot to post, I had been searching youtube for a scene just west of the Katsura River on the Tokaido Main Line where a walking path crosses the inbound tracks then turns 90 degrees and runs parallel for a few yards, then turns again to cross the outbound lines*.  Photographing/filming from this vantage point is pretty cool I think when a shinkaisoku or tokkyu passes, same for island platforms.  Although, I've really gotten to like nimo5's style of video in which he uses shots wide enough to include nearby greenery and/or buildings, which, when it comes down to it, is what makes peering out the window worth it--that is, if I can stay awake!

* here it is: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=34.96883,135.712762&spn=0.001736,0.002942&sll=34.892199,135.679879&sspn=0.044028,0.0546&t=h&z=19

Since I can't recall ever having the discussion. Which do you prefer and why when it comes to platforms that are outside or inside the tracks.

'Cat,

I don't know why people here are being so silly today.  Your question is a good one but perhaps a little too broad.  So, here's what I prefer for certain situations from a modeller's perspective:

1.  Main line and branch line junction: I like a pair of express tracks that run straight through, with no platform at all, and a pair of sidings for trains that are stopping.  If the train isn't stopping it doesn't have a platform on either side.  On the sidings the platforms might be on the outside because the back side of one of the platforms will become a platform for the branch line.  Some passengers alighting from the main line won't need to use the stairs to get to the branch line.  Confused?  I'll try to remember to post a sketch later when I'm at home.

2.  Main line station: Inside platforms.  Passenger numbers are sufficient to justify an overhead ticket office and stairs.

3.  Branch line station:  Outside platforms with pedestrian crossing at rail level ... because they're cute.

4.  Rural station:  I like the station to be short and on one side only of a single track.

I try to include the different types in my layout because things play out differently at each.

Cheers

The_Ghan

bikkuri bahn
Bikkuri, I was going to say that for photo purposes, I prefer island platforms.

I was thinking more in terms of urban stations, where space is at a premium.  My experiences have been more often than not that railway companies tend to pile on the signaling and control equipment on the end of single island platforms, as well as erecting barriers well before the end of the concrete.  Of course out in the burbs and countryside, there is more space, so the vantage points are more numerous, regardless of platfrom type.  Absolute worst is the Tsukuba Express, regardless of platform type.  Platform gates are death to photographers. Might as well be a subway. Love to ride as a passenger, though.

I like stations with platforms too, as I suspect most people do.  :grin

I don't know why people here are being so silly today.  Your question is a good one but perhaps a little too broad. 

The problem is the Yes/No answer to a question which asks "which?".  It needs to be be either "Do you like inside platforms? Yes/No" or "Which kind of platform do you like, Inside/Outside?".

To answer the implied question: as a modeler I like the look of island platforms.  As a passenger I prefer to have combinations with the platform on both sides of the train (meaning an outside platform for each track and a shared island platform).

Mmmmmmm.... this question is a bit tricky for me as I like both types.

The Island platforms are if there is a multiple of them and able to view, photo shot or Video camera shot of the trains coming and going gives you great advantage in certain aspects, while the One-Sided platforms gives you that open space to get great capture shots and as well as extra knowledge of when to start filming without having any interruptions from the pylons or people in the way. But having people in the way about to board the train is a good thing! lol

I can't really answer that... It depends on the type of the station, the trains, the surroundings...

As Tony showed, there is nice compromises! In Fukuoka Tenjin station (terminus on the Nishitetsu Tenjin-Omuta line) there are similar platforms which allows the conductor to let the people exit on one side of the train and the other enter from the opposite side.

Took the train there for almost 3 months last year and I found it really convenient! (except I waited until they opened the entering door to exit in the mooring so I wouldn't get in the crowd!)  :grin

I like stations with platforms too, as I suspect most people do.  :grin

I don't know why people here are being so silly today.  Your question is a good one but perhaps a little too broad. 

The problem is the Yes/No answer to a question which asks "which?".  It needs to be be either "Do you like inside platforms? Yes/No" or "Which kind of platform do you like, Inside/Outside?".

To answer the implied question: as a modeler I like the look of island platforms.  As a passenger I prefer to have combinations with the platform on both sides of the train (meaning an outside platform for each track and a shared island platform).

The original question was a yes/no. I did not like the way it read and rewrote it to be more open ended, but failed to catch the lack of rewriting the answers. I was distracted by an incoming iPhone call from my editor about a copy deadline.

bikkuri bahn
As Tony showed, there is nice compromises! In Fukuoka Tenjin station (terminus on the Nishitetsu Tenjin-Omuta line) there are similar platforms which allows the conductor to let the people exit on one side of the train and the other enter from the opposite side.

Common at private railway terminal stations, especially in the Osaka area. Meitetsu Nagoya Station, though a through arrangement, I think has this too.

I didn't vote.  I can't!  I mean, the question isn't fair.  When?  I like different types of platform for different reasons as per my earlier post.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Removed my vote, as I'm biased on this subject... It depends on the situation where the platforms are. Sometimes it's best to have them as island platforms so one can have an easy transfer (Keisei-Takasago, Aoto) or outside platforms so there is no confusion in the direction of travel and no big risk of platform congestion with simultaneous boarding and disembarking of two trains in two directions.

One thing I know: I prefer stations WITH platforms!

I think boarding a Shinkansen would be pretty hard directly from the ground, especially if you have luggages!  :grin

(just kiddin')